Out and About in the Snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada

Well, it got up to -7C (predicted high of -5C), so it was a go for some dirt, um, snow time. I had to get out. My eldest son joined me and acted as photojournalist and padawan bushcraft learner. There's a few things you need to know in the way of total disclosure. First, it was warm (for around here) and I was WAY over dressed for the day, and second, I carried WAY too much stuff with me. This equaled a much shorter jaunt than usual, but that's OK, we got out and listened to the winter silence. Gorgeous!

Here's some pics.

A major part of this day's purpose was to test out the Ontario Gen II SP 46 knife as a winter camp knife. It was chosen for the job because of the stuff that many 'bushcrafty' people do NOT like about it: the 'rubber' handle, the coated blade, the nylon case, etc. I actually thought all these things would be ideal for a cold weather (sometimes snowy wet) winter knife. This knife was a long way from home, but it was right at home today.

We pulled up to a big old evergreen and I found this really cool pack carrier...

...and we lit the fire.

The menu today was hot chocolate (I'm starting to prefer it in the woods, for some reason. Sugar boost, chocolatey goodness... I'm not sure?). Here's some pics of the fire:

Regarding food... Our family likes to eat our broiled bush meat (in this case, venison summer sausage) on a stick, roasted over a hot bed of coals. We eat the warmed up portion (it's all cooked, of course) and stick the rest back on. Roast. Gnaw. Roast. Repeat. I realize it's barbaric, but if you haven't tried this method, well, you really should! :)

Bannock - I premix at home, toss in a little container of oil, and mix in the bag. Preheat the stick, and Bob's your uncle.

Of course, I brought my newest Grohmann - a #3 in stainless steel. I didn't test it much, but it did get a little bit of attention. It is very much in what I would consider the bushcraft vein of things. Great little knife, made in Canada.

I also got to try out my canvas overcoat I had my SIL make for me. (She's an awesome sister in law.) I had her make it really, really, REALLY large so as to have lots of room, and I had her make it like a judo gi (or bathrobe) so I could dump heat quickly if I had to. I overheat easily, and wanted to be able to open it up front to let the heat roll out, rather than have to take the whole thing off. (My reasoning was similar to the way I wear my wool trousers on suspenders - no belt - to a) facilitate blood and heat flow up and out from my, uh, 'warmer climes' and b) so I can undo the button and fly to cool off without losing my trousers! It is amazing how much cooler things are when you unbuckle and unzip.)

I also brought along my recently created waxed tinder pouch (which saw no use at all today, sadly...

And then, finally, here's my 'Les Stroud' walk away shot... ;)

Things I learned today:
- I'm out of shape. But I knew that.
- I carry WAAAAAY too much stuff. (THAT'S over as of right now. Man, it's like I was carrying a small person on my back the whole time!) - My SIL's anoark/coat/windbreaker worked AWESOME!
- The Gen II SP 46 knife worked awesome as a winter camp knife.
- The Grohmann WILL be awesome.
- Deer summer sausage on a stick? Yup,

ATB.

KK

Last edited:

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Great photos thanks for sharing.
I now have snow jealousy.
The canvas wraparound looks efficient.

The tinder pouch is it on a separate strap to the other pack?

Heheheh! Ooops! Sorry! ;) I wish I could share some of my snow with you, believe me, around mid-Feb I get to feel real generous in the 'give winter away' department! :)

The tinder pouch is one of those waxed canvas fold outs I built recently, like this:

...and I had it on some braided paracord separate from the pack. It was strictly a temporary thing because I seldom wear a belt (although there's a built in belt on my coat) in the bush, especially not in winter. I also had my Ontario knife and my SAK on there too. Not ideal, but yesterday's news now... :)

The canvas coat did work well. I was quite pleased with it. It will likely stay just like it is. I have a hood, but I think I'll leave it for a bit...

Thanks everyone for the comments.

ATB

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
oh! ok! now i get it!!!...this is the first time ive seen the tinder pouch opened up and now that i have it makes total sense:thinkerg:
man i like that...what a great idea kk, i'm definitely going to copy this...woods

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
I have the Grohmann knife too, in o1, fantastic bit of kit and nice to use something just a little different in design!
I have just winterised my Leuko knife for an up comming winter trip to Norway by stretching a piece of bicycle inner tube over the lenge of the handle.
Gives a good, slightly sticky grip which I favour in a large bladed knife in winter.
My side axe gets winterised by wrapping tennis racket handle tape around the shaft ( thanks for the tip Pete! Teepee. ) Shock absorbing and grippy.
I like to chop with my gloves off, for feel , when I can and this idea helps.
Great work sir, love the Capote!

best.

Chris.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
I have the Grohmann knife too, in o1, fantastic bit of kit and nice to use something just a little different in design!
I have just winterised my Leuko knife for an up comming winter trip to Norway by stretching a piece of bicycle inner tube over the lenge of the handle.
Gives a good, slightly sticky grip which I favour in a large bladed knife in winter.
My side axe gets winterised by wrapping tennis racket handle tape around the shaft ( thanks for the tip Pete! Teepee. ) Shock absorbing and grippy.
I like to chop with my gloves off, for feel , when I can and this idea helps.
Great work sir, love the Capote!

best.

Chris.

Thanks Chris!

I really like the Grohmanns, and I don't think it's because they're made in a small shop in quaint, seaside, Pictou, Nova Scotia. Although, you know, that doesn't hurt... ;) I grew up as a lad with a smaller Grohmann Bird and Trout (which I still have). I'll insert a pic of some of my Grohmanns, just for fun...
thegrohmannfamily.jpg

The rest of your prep sounds really good, btw. I bet you're going to have the best trip! Norway in the winter sounds awesome!

A nice read, and the tinder pouch idea is certainly getting copied by me :)

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks! That's not my idea, btw. I saw it on YouTube and wanted to make one myself. It's dead easy. Let me know if you run into any snags. One hint from personal experience... attach the bag after doing everything else! Don't ask me how I know this... :)

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Great collection there sir, love the Nessy!
You can't find one of those on this side of the pond for love or money!
Fab post, thanks.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Thanks for the pics and the write -up. Really interesting.

Are the mittens you are wearing self-made? They look really good.

Best Wishes,
David

Hey David,

They're handcrafted by Natives near the James Bay area. They're moosehide with beaver trim, and lined with Hudson's Bay wool blanket material. And the beaded decorations are Canada Geese.

Thanks!

KK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE