our self built roundhouse is really starting to take shape.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
we have been working on this house for about a year now on and off. a total of about 1000 man hours so far. it is in wales and we are planning to live in it in the not to distant future.

dGbMB8H.jpg

an older picture
R6EY8fC.jpg

you can see the most recent video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1hkvXnTQZY

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Been watching this on youtube. Great stuff! best crack on if you hope to get warm for winter.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi Kris, been following along with interest.
I keep meaning to ask and I am sure you have probably said this somewhere along the way but is the plan to live there full time when it's done?
I only ask as I have discussions on similar set ups and think some have been put off by bylaws only allowing habitation for a maximum number of days per year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
My experience of exposed end grain is that it draws in moisture and that is where rot starts. How do you stop the rot and how do you repair rotted logs in the walls?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My experience of exposed end grain is that it draws in moisture and that is where rot starts. How do you stop the rot and how do you repair rotted logs in the walls?

We have a Round House of similar construction on the farm I work at.
It is over 20 years old and has only just needed a bit of wall repair. The logs were simply taken out (the first one in each area proved a bit difficult to get out - the ones next to it were easier thanks to the gap) and new ones slotted in and "clayed" into place.
Your build is a fair bit bigger than ours and looks great!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
That looks great, I too am interested in how you got permission to live in a dwelling like that full time? Is it a minefield?

What are you doing with regards to planning permission, power and water, septic tank etc?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks brilliant. Never seen walls done like that before.

With the Double glazed units make sure you put little spacers under them so they dont sit flat on the sill. The gap can be hidden with the beads. Will make the units last longer before they steam up and fail.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We have a Round House of similar construction on the farm I work at.
It is over 20 years old and has only just needed a bit of wall repair. The logs were simply taken out (the first one in each area proved a bit difficult to get out - the ones next to it were easier thanks to the gap) and new ones slotted in and "clayed" into place.
Your build is a fair bit bigger than ours and looks great!
So you just dig or bash out the rotten logs and refit a new one? Sounds easy . . .

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
Hi Kris, been following along with interest.
I keep meaning to ask and I am sure you have probably said this somewhere along the way but is the plan to live there full time when it's done?
I only ask as I have discussions on similar set ups and think some have been put off by bylaws only allowing habitation for a maximum number of days per year?

we are planning on living there full time. without planning permission. if anyone has a problem with what we are doing and reports us to the local authority we can apply for planning under policy 52 witch is a policy in wales for natural building. but we would like to avoid having to do it as it is a huge amount of paper work and can take years. no laws are being broken in building. its only if it bother somone and they report it that we will have a problem.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com
That looks great, I too am interested in how you got permission to live in a dwelling like that full time? Is it a minefield?

What are you doing with regards to planning permission, power and water, septic tank etc?

no planning yet. but there is a policy we can apply called policy 52 for building natural dwellings. we will be useing a combination of solar and hydro for power. we have a natural spring for water that will be gravity fed down to the house. and we use a compost toilet.

overclocker_kris

Tenderfoot
Oct 13, 2014
staines
www.youtube.com

well the walls are mostly larch witch is very durable. because they can breath and will be kept dry form ther roof over hang there should not be to much of an issue.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
This being completely new to me, I dont get the idea of requesting planning permission, after its built!

I mean isnt that a bit of a risk?

Well done for doing this though.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I've been following you bit by bit on the Youtube, reminds me of being a kid watching the adults build something before you can enjoy it

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
we are planning on living there full time. without planning permission. if anyone has a problem with what we are doing and reports us to the local authority we can apply for planning under policy 52 witch is a policy in wales for natural building. but we would like to avoid having to do it as it is a huge amount of paper work and can take years. no laws are being broken in building. its only if it bother somone and they report it that we will have a problem.

I'm with you, I figured there would be some sort of red tape involved!
You can rely on me and I imagine the rest of bcuk to keep stum! 😶

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE