Otter Tracking. (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
The Autumn survey went quite well. I covered a lot of miles going to different survey sites and some places were hard to access but I found positive sign in each site, however, the name of the game is to find fresh sign which I managed to do on 5 out of the 12 sites.

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
Out for a walk with the dogs and came across these tracks on a small stream. I think they are otter, but a bit of confirmation from more experienced folks would be helpful. They were quite small compared to other tracks I have seen and I suspect they are from a juvenile.

I hope the upload or link works!

https://picasaweb.google.com/106140005057147792350/Jan12Walks?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ71wLiMuMX_Hw#5697845113660878594

Umm that didn't quite work the way I wanted, anyway if the link works the tracks are on there. By the way it's the house boss at the start!

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Difficult to say what they are without a sense of scale. But they don't have otter characteristics as the toes seem to big in proportion to the pad and too close in. Actually looks more feline.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I can't see the pics unless someone can upload them onto here and make them bigger (they appear too small on my phone). At this stage all I want to know is, are you the lead singer of AC/DC? :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can't see the pics unless someone can upload them onto here and make them bigger (they appear too small on my phone). At this stage all I want to know is, are you the lead singer of AC/DC? :)

Same for me. They are really tiny and can't make them out properly. Is there a hi def version you can copy to the thread.

Last edited:

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
I did not have anything to compare the size of the tracks with me sadly. But I would say they were small. Could not see any claw marks but I'm not sure if the show all the time with otter.

could be a Cat which would be disappointing, unless a puma! Mink are prevelant round here, but I always thought they were claw pointed.

and sadly I am not THE Brian Johnson.

I'll try and download a photo, although I am not sure if I have the rights. there are other photo's on my site.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Otters don't have long claws as a mink would since they forage amongst rocks and pebbles, turning them over to look for smaller 'insignificant' fish and crays and in doing so wear their claws down.

pilotlight

Jan 7, 2012
Northumberland
I've just borrowed the Preban Bang (what a great name!) animall tracks book and the more I look, the more cat comes out. so close to the water and new year over-exuberance and lack of knowledge methinks!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Been back surveying again.
Here's some more pics.

Run into/from water.
Run.jpg

Several spraints in the grass here.
OneofthreespotsalongtherunSeveralspraintsonthisonespot.jpg

Run cuts out a large bend in the estuary and the 'X' shows where the other entry/exit point is.
Runacrossfield.jpg

Jan 20, 2011
Bath, UK
Some great tracks down by the river at my folks house this weekend... three sets coming out onto a muddy bank...

These guys used to be a bit of a pain if you were fishing, one night one swam right past me scaring the heck outta me.

Anyway, here is the piccy

photootter.jpg

Jan 20, 2011
Bath, UK
Two of the sets were approximately the same size with the third set being larger. Im inclined to believe it was indeed three separate ones, as they all emerged from the river at this spot and all went in a straight line up along the bank until I lost the trail over a very stony part.

Ill have to go down again with the camera a few times to see for sure if there are three, but in all honesty, Im not entirely sure when otter breed, Ill have to check online. I remember seeing young ones there a few times during the summers though.

That river in notorious for having lots of wildlife but every time I do take the camera down I can never seem to get a ‘good’ shot. Think there was only one I ever managed that I liked of a heron at sunset. And Im sure the kingfisher likes teasing me, getting out of range and flying off whenever Im ready…. its also a wonder he can fly with that stomach of his, its amusingly large considering his tiny little size :p !

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
I was sat by river in a wood near our place tonight silently waiting to see if i could see a roe buck ive watched from the same spot a few times when i heard a plop on the bank opposite and spotted what i can only describe as i imagine to be an otter to pop up throw something on the bank, do a flip back into water swim along and under a overhanging tree. After a minute it poped out from under e tree and did the same again. Tried to get a snap on my phone but its only a shot of shadey river. Question i have is do you get otters on rivers up here? Or is my brain /eyes deceiving me?

Id walked out with a full rucksac (cheers louis) and my binos were unfortuanetly in the pack.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Really useful - We'll go and have look at the streams below our house- maybe I have been unfairly accusing a fox for taking out chickens.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE