Osage Orange stave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
OK large stave to Dwardo, smaller stave to Mally and the roughed out blank to Danny.

Also to let you know, when you cut into this wood it is bright yellow!! It age darkens to Mallys stave colour and will continue to a very dark brown:)

Steve.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I know guys who have made short Osage D shaped bows less than an inch wide at 50lbs. Certainly as good as yew.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
pm sent steve. im really lookin forward to using some osage its like hens teeth over here. hiya dwardo its danny f from primitive archer. your right about the narrow bows from osage there are quite alot posted on the other site. im working on a yew stave at the mo which is only 1" wide but abit longer so i will have abit of practice lol

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Cowboy, sorry they are all gone. I may have a yew stave in the pile and I have loads of split Ash that I cut in 2004 or 2006 cant quite remember?

Danny, I will have a look for some Osage off cuts and if so will send them so you can build up the handle if need be? Might also chuck in a bit of Horn for the tips as well?

Steve

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
No worries mate, have you got any pictures of the yew stave and some off the ash ones? Id be more than interested.. Im just starting off in the bow making world. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great stuff....

Was going to suggest removing all of the excess wood from staves making them lighter to post, then all we have to do is string them ;)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
:lmao:

I'm too knackered trying to keep up with all the gear i'm selling to be having fun whittling:)

I reckon if your careful cutting you could possibly splice another bow out of the two removed limb sections?

Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE