Osage Orange stave

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
For the Bowyers, I have a couple of Premium Osage Orange Staves bought from the USA in 2005 so they are well seasoned, you just can't get these staves in the UK. They are about 60" long with no twist and the rings are thick with loads of summer wood but I will have to check tomorrow and get some pics up?

Shipping is with Parcelforce due to the length at £14 unless anyone knows a cheaper way?

I'm asking for £25 plus shipping per stave or you could collect?

I also have some timbers in board form if anyone is interested? Things like Cherry, Purpleheart, Hickory, Ash, Oak, Lemonwood.

Steve

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Count me in for an Osage. Can you post some pics please and I will look into shipping too but to be honest that sounds about average.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
OK chaps if you like the staves they will go to you. As Dwardo was first to post he will get first choice out of the two, I think thats fair?

Mally, I'm in Rickmansworth, near junction 17 of the M25.

Pics coming soon!

Steve

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
i wish i had seen this thread earlier. if any of the sales fall through i will defo have an osage stave thanks danny.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
There are two staves both measure 62". They both have no knots or pins. One is larger in width and depth. They both have been taken down to the first summer growth and are sealed ends and back.

The larger stave is 2" wide one end and 1.5" the other end. The middle is 1.75" wide. Depth is 2.25" pretty much all the way. This is the stave that has the end cracks but they are shallow and look to go down only part of the first ring and tip placement could maybe deal with them?

The smaller stave is 1.5" wide one end and 7/8ths the other. The middle is 1.25". Depth is 2" pretty much all the way. This stave has some snake to it.

They will both make fine bows up to 70lbs if needed:eek: it's just the larger one has more width to play with but Osage bows can be made very narrow for decent weights as you both probably know?

The larger stave

The smaller stave

Steve.

Last edited:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Danny358, Ok your first dibs on a drop out?

If they are both taken I have another smaller Osage stave that I started working on that is 51" long, 1" wide in the middle and 1/2" both ends. Depth is 3/4" in the middle and 1/2" both ends. The rings are the same thickness as the other staves with there being 3 whole rings either end!

This would make a shorter draw bend in the handle bow probably in the 40-50 lb weight ?

Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like two stunners matey. The larger one would be perfect for a bow I have in mind. If you want to double check postage and let me know how you want paying.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
ok thanks. i would probably be interested in the one you have started on if the other 2 have gone do you have any pics of that one? and would the price be the same?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Well there is two options?

Cut off 9cm to bring it to the 150cm max for parcel force or I looked at a courier called DX that would ship for £13?

Would need a postcode PM'd to be sure though?

Steve

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
has the stave been chased to one growth ring. with there not being much room to play with? if the other 2 staves have defo gone i will take this one let me know payment details and i will sort it out, thanks danny

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Hi Danny,

Yes it's chased and finished ready to go. I even marked out a bow design with a 4" handle 1" wide tapering Pyramid style to 1/2" tips. There is a small knot about 3mm in the middle of the handle and a smaller knot 8" from one tip just off centre. If you want pics let me know?

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Dwardo, looks like it is £13 delivery by DX Couriers. The same applies to all the staves unless someone knows anybody cheaper?

Mally, Will drop the price for the smaller stave to £22 as your not getting as much wood.

Danny, pics of the knots... Edit... spotted some surface checking though the cracks are tiny. Never seen them before until the close up pics! They look shallow and should be no problem?

Steve

Last edited:

malley

Nov 17, 2008
Northumberland
Steve,

They both look great. If the larger has been selected by Dwardo, I'll take the smaller of the original two osage staves.

Sending PM for address and payment.

Cheers! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE