Which wood for fire ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I'm putting a list of timbers together for there usability on Fires any imput greatly received

Apple: Really good burns slow with good heat good for cooking

Oak: a good all rounder . Was told to fell trees in the summer for building and winter for burning the older the better for burning

Beech: . Burns relatively well but can spit out embers

Birch: This has good heat output but burns quickly. It will burn green

Blackthorn: Burns slowly, with lots of heat and little smoke.

Cedar: small flame, lots of heat a nice cooking timber

Ash: my favourite burning wood with steady flame and good heat . It will burn when green, but not as well as when dry.

Cherry: burns slow with good heat but really difficult to start better put on to a fire which is already going strong

Chestnut: I've found a small amount of heat not good for cooking at all

Douglas Fir: little flame or heat if it has to be used split larger logs and disregard the outer timber in my opinion avoid

Elder: I've never burnt this as old woodlore says to burn elder is to bring death to the forest ( no I don't walk under ladders either )

Hawthorn: Good firewood. Burns hot and for along time

Hazel: An excellent fast burning fuel but tends to burn up a bit faster than most other hard woods so large amounts are needed for continuous fire

Holly: A good firewood that will burn when green, It is fast burning with a lot of flame but not so much heat

Hornbeam: Burns almost as good as beech with a hot slow burning fire.

Horse Chestnut: a good flame and good heat but spits a lot.
Laurel: Produces a brilliant flame only reasonable heat

Lilac: Thinner branches make good kindling, whilst the thicker burn well with a clear flame

Maple: A good all round firewood.

Thorn: One of the best firewoods. Burns slowly, with great heat and little smoke. But also needs to be cut in the winter to get best results

Pear: Burns with good heat, good scent and no spitting. Needs to be dried well

Pine species generally: (Including the dreaded Leylandii) Burns very well if the snap ,crackle and pop doesn't bother you

Plum: Wood provides good heat with a good flame

Rowan: A good firewood that burns hot and slow.

Rhododendron: Bigger branches burn well the older the better small bits ok for starting

.Sycamore: Burns with a good flame, with moderate heat. Useless green.

Sweet Chestnut: Burns when seasoned but tends to spit like crazy not a good open fire fuel .

Willow: A poor fire wood that must be dry to use. Even when seasoned, it burns slowly, with little flame. Apt to spark.

Alder: Burns very quick not much heat not worth the effort of collecting

laburnum : smoke that taints food and is best never used although he wood itself will unlikely effect you harvesting it would probably be unpleasant and the smoke is very unpleasant

Lime: A poor quality fuel with dull flame. Good for carving though! A bit of a waste to burn it.

Spruce: A poor firewood that burns too quickly and with too many sparks

Poplar: A terrible fuel that doesn't burn well and produces a black choking smoke

Elm: A bad wood for daytime fires in my opinion as smokes lick mad but a good sized piece of log on before bedding down for the night will still be embering in the morning

Walnut: Not worth the effort of collecting smells nice though

Yew: This burns slowly, with fierce heat. Another carving favourite.

I've added a few rhymes to help

"These hardwoods burn well and slowly, Ash, beech, hawthorn oak and holly. Softwoods flare up quick and fine, Birch, fir, hazel, larch and pine.
Elm and willow you'll regret, Chestnut green and sycamore wet"

“Ash wood wet or ash wood dry, a King will warm his slippers by."

Beechwood fires are bright and clear
If the logs are kept a year
Chestnut only good they say
If for long it's laid away
Make a fire of elder tree
Death within your house will be
But ash new or ash old
Is fit for a Queen with a crown of gold

Oaken logs, if dry and old
Keep away the winters cold
Poplar gives a bitter smoke
Fills your eyes and makes you choke
Elmwood burns like churchyard mould
Even the very flames burn cold
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread
So it is in Ireland said
Applewood will scent the room
Pears wood smells like a flower in bloom
But Ashwood wet and Ashwood dry
A King may warm his slippers by.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I burn a lot of ash and elder (weed trees here), some beech, oak and birch plus...any other stuff that comes my way! I won't fell hawthorn, but all else is fair game.

Seasoned ash is beautiful. I have about thirty cubic metres put back at the moment. Resinous pine is good for starting but creosotes your chimney. Blackthorn burns madly hot - absurdly so with branches - great for warming your flue but will burn bread. Poplar is okay but split it green - its a royal b1tch when seasoned. Fruitwoods are okay but generally measly in size.

For cooking and heat we separate "starter" wood from "sustaining" wood. Starter wood is elder, pines, thorns, fruits. Get a good bed of hot coals then put on the biggest hardwood log that will fit - ash, oak etc. Regulate with airflow. This is year round cast iron range cooking as opposed to campfire cooking, but the principle is the same,

Red

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Speaking of ash, I have several cubic meters of ash seasoning at the moment. This is from trees we felled in early spring that had signs of die back. In wondering now whether it's safe to burn, I assume the fungus will be killed and no spores will be airborne in the smoke. Is this right?

touched by nature

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Speaking of ash, I have several cubic meters of ash seasoning at the moment. This is from trees we felled in early spring that had signs of die back. In wondering now whether it's safe to burn, I assume the fungus will be killed and no spores will be airborne in the smoke. Is this right?

touched by nature

I suspect no one knows.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE