Optimus 8R

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sale price is whatever you can get on eBay really depending on condition but around £25 and more. They are a very solid, stable and reliable stove. Burn time at full power is about 45-50 minutes, the simmer is OK but not great and they need a windshield of some sort, folded tin foil is OK but not tight around the stove as you can overheat the fuel tank.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I've got a couple.. They are very good stoves. A little heavy by modern standards I suppose. But dead simple to use.

Value...? We'll it depends on a lot of things...Condition of the stove, exactly which model of 8R it is, it it currently working, which way the wind is blowing on ebay on the day..etc...

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Without wanting to trigger a stovie debate, I don't like mine and much prefer my 111s. Mine was brand new about three years ago and was pants. It was OK with a mini-pump to get it going but apart from that never did it for me. New they are about £50 and still available (just)

NS

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I think they are great.
Had mine for some years now, when I purchased it, it was called The Hunter, and it's the self priming type.
No need for a windshield for me as I just put the lid back to the wind.
A very fast brew.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Had one some years ago with the mini-pump. The pump is almost a must. The one thing I didn't like was it can overheat the tank if using a larger diameter pot. It can reflect a lot of heat on the tank and blow the safety valve. Not really desireable.

Much prefer the 111B, used one on some long trips part of a group and they handle large pots and are much more robust overall. Also HEAVY to carry. Once used one as part of a 6-man group the did an around the mountain traverse of Mt. Rainier, the division of weight and the reliablity of the stove at altitude were a good trade off. We pretty much stayed between 10,000 and 12,000 feet and it took 5 days. I should doubt that an 8R would have worked out. The 111B was excellent.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Without wanting to trigger a stovie debate, I don't like mine and much prefer my 111s. Mine was brand new about three years ago and was pants. It was OK with a mini-pump to get it going but apart from that never did it for me. New they are about £50 and still available (just)

NS

If you can get new 8's for £50 I'll have ten off you, or do you mean the Russian copies (£30) ?

No real need for the mini or midi pump in the UK, don't get cold enough, just a little extra prime with meths.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE