Optimus 111

EdS

I've was give one of these - looks pretty much like the hunter but is from the 1960's.

Decided it will be idea in the canoe or Landy when I can not be bother with a wood stove or there is no wood.

Question is what is the best fuel. Kerosene or normal unleaded petrol? It does run on kerosene (parafin) but smokes quiet alot.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Ed, great stoves the 111, one of my favourites, have 5 now. To answer your question I would need to know the model. Is is a silent burner (dome on top of burner) or a roarer (like the 8r) ? Any markings on the tin like 111b for instance. Does the tank hold pressure when you pump it?

If its a silent burner it will run Coleman fuel or paraffin, and meths even, with a little modification

If its a roarer, look under the burner, if there are two tubes leading from the primer dish to the burner its a petrol stove, if there are four tubes leading to the burner, its a paraffin stove.

Let me know what the stove model is and we'll take things from there, can't have a poorly ill 111 :(

PS, when they are at full blast you get 10,000 BTU, thats hotter than a Nova :)
Something like this
DSCF1016.jpg

EdS

I'll check tonight. I seem to recall that thereis no dome on top, just a cup.

It did take some getting to go with kerosene in it even after I'd pumped it up alot. Had to keep lighting it/ priming until the the burner was hot in order to work. Even then it was a poor orange smokey flame.

Actually come to think of it I'm not sure it did have a pump system. More like the 8r

Also got a British stove that looks like a 00 or

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
EdS said:
I'll check tonight. I seem to recall that thereis no dome on top, just a cup.

It did take some getting to go with kerosene in it even after I'd pumped it up alot. Had to keep lighting it/ priming until the the burner was hot in order to work. Even then it was a poor orange smokey flame.

Actually come to think of it I'm not sure it did have a pump system. More like the 8r

Also got a British stove that looks like a 00 or

The 111 has definatly got a pump on it, as you see in the picture. ;) As Rik says, if you could post a picture of it, particularly the burner, we could identify it properly,

As for being yellow and smokey and difficult to light.... The burner needs to be thouraghly pre-heated for the paraffin to vavourise properly. Also, you do not want to much pressure in the tank untill it is well lit and burning well, or you may be forcing unvapourised fuel through the burner. Half a dozen pumps should be mor ethan enough to get it lit.

Try this procedure to light it....

Fill the pre-heating cup with meths and light, let it burn out.

Fill again and relight.

When the second fill of meths is 3/4 burnt, give the pump half a dozen strokes.

When the meths is nearly burnt out, open the valve and the stove should light, have matches or a lighter handy just in case.

Let it burn for a minute or so, then pump up 30 to 50 strokes or so.

The 111 is a great stove, provided you don't have to carry it too far! :D

P1030310.jpg

P1030355.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ed, try and take a pic, if there is a cup on the top of the burner, it sounds like you are missing the inner and outer burner caps, show me a photo, I may have the spares you need you can have

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Great stoves when properly used and maintained. These were/are used in the Norwegian forces, and I know Erling Kagge used one abit modified to the North Pole
solo.

I`ve got the Explorer 11.

Had many great moments with these inside tents in arctic winters ;)

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
EdS said:
Ok I've just had a look and I got it wrong it is an 8r. It was the plastic/bakerlite control knob that threw me.

I guess it is a petrol 1. Is normal unleaded OK

Yes, unleaded is fine! no wonder it was smokey on paraffin..... :eek:

Shepard

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2006
Norway
Thanks for the link!

A trick with kerosene for experienced users is filling a plastic squisible (sp?) bottle with the same amount of fuel that a full fill will hold(3/4?). So without reheating turn off the stove, unscrew tank, fill the tank with the plastic bottle, screw on, pump like a madman then lit the stove. If youre fast enough no reheating is needed.

Downside with these stoves for me is that my firecraft sucks....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Shepard

Have you seen the New(ish) Army No.12 stove? burns parafin or diesel, similar to the 111, but a bigger case and tank, heavy, but great for car or canoe camping. Brass and stainless steel construnction :)
DSCF0965Small.jpg

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Great stove! Weighs as much as a small car though:) I used one for a month on Mt. McKinley back in 1976. It was a 111b, worked flawlessly. Of course it was a team carry item and it was managable. It never once messed up, always worked. A few times it was a little fussy getting it going when it was really cold but never failed. I guess the MSR Expedition sort of forced it out. Originally the MSR was called a Model 9, came with a lifetime warranty and I had mine replaced/upgraded 4 times. I still have a few MSR Expeditions around here somewhere.
I got lazy and use a little Snow Peak gas stove nowadays.
Good luck with the 111, they are a real classic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE