Opinel Knives - favourites?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
I've been scratching my chin and pondering stocking a few Opinel models.
However I'm not that familiar with the range and was just wondering if the forum hive mind could give me some pointers?
I definitely want the diddy keyring model, but what are your top 5 Opinel models?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Opinel garden knife.

garden.jpg

I carry a No. 8 at all times. Yes I know with the lock it may be a bit of a grey area but as a landscaper I am oficially carrying a tool of my trade. I genuinely use it all day from slicing open pallets of stone, bags of aggregate or cement and cutting up my lunch apple. The No. 7 was too small and gave it to a fellow female gardening type. The No.2 I have as a key ring and is ok for clever whittling (and is just dead cute). My 8 year old daughter got a red childrens' knife, also available in blue (No.7 with a blunt point) for her birthday and foraged most of my elderflower fizz crop with it. AND I have the mushroom knife with real boar beard bristles...! Apart from my skandis, Opinel are true friends from France..........hc

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I carry my 6 everywhere, my EDC as it were (the locking ring pops off and back on again with ease) and I keep a No 7 for back up. Other than stropping them they hardly ever need to be sharpened on the stone, and they get used for cutting everything, from rubber mats to sausage.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My EDC is an Opinel No.17. It's an amalgamation of a No.8 and a No.9. (big blade's the number 8)
I had both in my back pocket on a hot day and they melted together like a bag of toffees. :lmao:

It's still leaving any Frenchman I show it to scratching his head.

Y'know they even sell Opinels here in blister packs in supermarkets. They're that popular.

Apologies if you've seen this before, but I'm proud of my little creation.

Opinel2.jpg

Opinel1.jpg

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
No6 EDC with lock popped off. Anything over an 8 seems too big to me. The pruning knives etc are good too.

caswcc

May 5, 2010
kent
bright orange number 7 and keyring one in bright green... so many people have commented on the keyring one...

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
I would consider stocking the following: #6, #7, #8, #9 in stainless & carbon plus the childrens round tip versions. All very popular in my opinion and excellent little knives, especially for modifying!

If they do well, maybe you could also offer the different woods, this might differentiate you from some other sellers?

Look forward to seeing them on your site.

ATB, Jon.

Biker

No 8 for me,but i sure would like a copy of bikers No17.

Make one, twas easy ... if you're handy with tools that is.

I bought both Opinels at bootfairs total price was £3 so the monetary investment if it went pear-shaped wasn't too painful. Set them side by side end to end and guaged with my eye where I needed to saw and chisel away the waste. There's wood between both the blades from the original knife. Several fine tweaks later they were glued together using PVA and cramped overnight. Next day I spent planing, filing and sanding them flush with each other.

"Simple dimple" as they say in the arctic.

Ogri, be sure to share your creation once it's done, I'd love to see it mate. I stole the idea myself, just found this example (see below) made by Robinsons (Don't they make Strawberry Jam as well?) This is a clone version so someone's ripping someone's original design off in my opinion.

robinson_opinel_clone-lg.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE