Open Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've always fancied the idea of paddling an open (Canadian) canoe, and figured I might try and go on a course in the summer.

Is it difficult to learn? Would my six year old son (strong lad and a good swimmer) be too young to learn with me, or should he wait a few years yet? Are they stable enough for fishing from?

Any info appreciated.

O

othello

my cousin (7) can go in one with my uncle and is fine on the water and knows what to do.They are quite stable as long as you don't stand up or jjump about dancing is also not something i would advise on it. You could probably fish from it i have never tried it myself.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
If I can do it, a small lazy hamster can do it :)

Go for it, they are amazingly responsive and you feel totally in touch with the water. Basic movement are quite simple, its when u start getting into combinations between pairs that it takes practice to really crack.

Enjoy yourself,

I dont know scotland very well, at all really, but there is a instructor called Myles Farnback who runs a canoeing centre in scotland, try tracking him down, he is an amzing teacher.

best wishes

Noamd

J

JeremyH

Good advice to go on a course. I use one here in Islay on the sea for travelling, fishing and Birding and sneaking up on Otters, seals and riding with Dolphins. Great for kit, kids and dogs and shelter! Haven't tried transporting sheep yet! They are different to sea kayaks and require less kit. Make sure you always use a bouyancy aid and take you usual bushcraft kit with you. Do not get too involved with the canoeing kit game till you you are sure you know what you want.
it is serious fun for all. :-D a useful website is: www.getoutcanoeing.co.uk

Jeremy
www.islaybirding.co.uk

Hi Doc,
Canoes are awesome. Great way of getting about, very responsive, and yes, you can indeed fish from them.
But definitely take a course!
Learning how to right one and get back in again, on a nice calm pond on a nice summer day is the way to go. Learn how it handles both with and without a load. Just get comfortable with one.
And I don't see any reason why your son couldn't learn to pilot one.
Just observe all of the common sense safety rules: wear a PFD, have a bailer, a spare paddle and a throw rope.
See if you can locate "The Canoeists Manual" by Omer Stringer. Great little book.
This link might give you a starting point:

http://www.canoemuseum.net/

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Doc,
I bought a Coleman 15'6" open canoe last year about this time and had a fantastic summer with it. Easy to stick on the top of the car with a roof rack. Very stable and responsive.
I went out with my lad who's 13 and we basically taught ourselves all the main strokes, and it wasn't long before we were working together without even communicating. The book New Way of the Wilderness by Calvin Rutstrum is an excellent book and has got a good Open Canoe Section which I learnt all the main strokes from. Once paid for (don't forget PFD's)
we had some fantastic days out on it for completely free. Get one !! they're excellent fun :biggthump

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks for that guys. I am mightily tempted as up here in Perthshire there is a lot of water, and I've seen folk canoeing on our local lochs.

I'm going to try to do a course this summer.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
It hasn't arrived yet, not due here until Friday.
The guy at Avoncraft wouldn't send it until this week, he said it would be bad news if it got stuck in a depot over the weekend.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Tell me about it! :banghead: :banghead: Never mind I've had plenty to keep me busy.

I help the Warden on Crowle Moors on a Sunday morning and I saw two Adders today. :-D

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Yep!! There's a guided walk round the moors next Sunday morning.

SWMBO was going to come along but now she knows that there are snakes there (lots of them but don't tell her) she's not so sure anymore.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
My new toy arrived yesterday (Coleman Journey). We've been out all day on the local canal paddling our little hearts out.

I'm really proud of Georgina (SWMBO) she has a bad phobia of frogs and fish, but she was in the canoe for two hours. This is something of a minor miracle, especially as she saw some pike spawning.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Just got back from down under, and we were meant to be doing a session over there. Alas, there was a problem with the booking and the trip was cancelled.

The bigger shame was that we booked to do this at the end of our trip, so we could not do it at all :cry:

Does anyone know of any places down south where I can have a go in one of these. It is something that myself and Mel really want to do - but I need to know that I can sit comfortably in on (since I am such a crotchety old git). :wink:

All info appreciated.

Rob

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I went with this chap last year, and I'llbe going again this year with the Mrs.
http://www.floatingleafcanoes.co.uk/canoetrips.htm

He's in Looe, and he builds all the canoes. It's only a short trip, and you go with the tide, so it’s a gentle introduction. He even stops half way for a cup of tea via Kelly kettle, and a bit of cake :)

Looe is lovely, we actually went canoeing with him in the morning, went on a mackerel fishing trip over lunch. Then hired a little rowboat that someone had put a motorcycle engine in, and pottered around the place with a line and 10 toes in the water for the afternoon.
Great place for boat trips ;)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
I'm really proud of Georgina (SWMBO) she has a bad phobia of frogs and fish, but she was in the canoe for two hours. This is something of a minor miracle, especially as she saw some pike spawning.

i was going to suggest that you tell her the adders had eaten all the frogs, but i wasn't really sure that would help :shock: :-D

cheers, and.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
sargey said:

i was going to suggest that you tell her the adders had eaten all the frogs, but i wasn't really sure that would help :shock: :-D

cheers, and.

As far as I know there are no frogs on the moors. Its a low land peatbog and is too acid for frogs. Tons of midges though, she was eaten alive last summer. She had used a shampoo called "Mint Source" it acted like a midge magnet. :twisted: :shock:

Rob
You can get plastic backrests and padded seats that fit on to Coleman canoes. Dead comfy :-D :-D

Y

yowee

Woodsmoke do a course called the Lakelander which is based around canadian canoes built by the intructor steve, we used them on the Nomad course last year they were excellent, so you could combine learning bushcraft and canoeing what more could you ask for, the woodsmoke lot are fantastic, I recon you'd have a great time, after that you could teach your kid. :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE