Only been a member for 6 months!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hi everyone thought it was about time I introduced myself (only been a member for 6 months!).

I’m 34, live in York and work as a Medical Engineer for the local hospital.

I grew up in a village on the outskirts of York spending most of my spare time in the fields and woods (now long gone) building shelters, hunting and discovering natures many resources’.

I started out by reading books by Lofty Wiseman and Eddie McGee, practising survival/bushcraft skills with a few friends and camping out whenever we could.

Now a days I seem to spend most of my time at work or home and with a young family I don’t get chance to get out an about as much.

I do however like to fiddle and twiddle with things (been an Engineer by trade) and have made a few knives, leather goods, wooden things and steam engines over the years.

I’m hoping to get back into Bushcraft a bit more and since finding this site its only increases the urge.

Cheers Richard.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Facinated by the idea of a Bushy steam engine, m8:yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm
Ploddy 'ell what sort of backback do you use for that?????

Forget the six months fellah....us Yorkies tek 'us time

Ceeg

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Facinated by the idea of a Bushy steam engine, m8:yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm
Ploddy 'ell what sort of backback do you use for that?????

Forget the six months fellah....us Yorkies tek 'us time

Ceeg

Wandering off topic, this isn't one of mine but during WWII these were used to power portable radio set using a small boiler fired with wood, coal or whatever was to hand.
sirius-1.jpg

Cheers Richard.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Well,Richard , I honestly think that wee steam genny is a nice bit of kit...I would bet that it was that which was responsible for the expression, "steam radio".

I.m left here, wondering if you can get steam broadband, these days; wouldn't be surprised:lmao:

rgds
Ceeg

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Black Sheep.

Is the steam engine in the picture by any chance made by Stewart Turner of Henley-on-Thames? Some of the parts are remarkably similar to their other engines.

Oh and by the way Welcome to the site!

Swyn.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello and welcome to BcUK :D ........consider that the welcome bit ;) :D It's good to see you around.

Heavens that's a blast from the past :cool: My uncle and brother and now my son, all build steam engines, we had one of those in my grandpa's workshop (another engineer) I thought Stuart Turner was still making engine bits and castings? or are there just a lot still around for trade and the like?

cheers,
Toddy

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Hello and welcome to BcUK :D ........consider that the welcome bit ;) :D It's good to see you around.

Heavens that's a blast from the past :cool: My uncle and brother and now my son, all build steam engines, we had one of those in my grandpa's workshop (another engineer) I thought Stuart Turner was still making engine bits and castings? or are there just a lot still around for trade and the like?

cheers,
Toddy

Yep their still around in one form or another, lost the Turner bit a while ago and were taken over (if I remember) but their now called "Stuart Models".

Link to their site http://www.stuartmodels.com/

Cheers
Richard.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Welcome to the campfire.

I've always been impressed with medical engineers - the ones I've met have been highly capable blokes with a can-do attitude. Sort of like sappers in civilian clothes.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Welcome and hope you enjoy the site, the people on here are fantastic with a superb knowledge that just leaves me wanting more. Enjoy

Don

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE