Ongoing Shepherds crook project!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I've not been able to finish this project yet, due to time, but I'd thought I'd post a few pictures anyway!

I'm making a shepherds crook, it's for show just in case you note the sheep would have to have a seriously thin neck for it to work!

The crook is made from 1/2 inch round bar (steel) which I made when I had a few spare minutes on a blacksmithing course I did last year.

The staff itself is made from birch. I'm like the natural texture and shape of the wood so I'm hoping to keep that but I'm on carving a sort of petal shape in to the top of the staff which open in to the crook.

I'm intending to finish it off with a rub down and then a bee wax mix that British Red gave me a while ago.

As I say it's far from finished but time permitting I'm hopeing I'll get it done soon
crook.jpg

staff1.jpg

crookstaff.jpg

Pib

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Actually it's not as heavy as you'd think, but for sure you'd not want to be humping it around a field trying to catch your lamb chop supper!

Leg hook? Or a scrawny sheep!:naughty: As I say it's to look at rather than to use. I had to make do with some scrap steel I found lying around so by the time I'd twisted it and put the spiral in the there was no chance of getting a decent sized hook in as well.

Pib

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE