One year life in a tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 14, 2011
Cornwall
Hello there,
I am brandnew here and have not amazingly much experience with tents so I guess I wil be more of a listener :)

However, I live in Newquay, Cornwall but will have to move to Plymouth soon. My friend and me are thinking of living on a camping site between these two towns for the whole year. Now, I have looked into some different tents and we are thinking that a bell tent might be the right choice but I would like to hear your opinions. Can the bell tent stand a cornish fall/winter? And I've read alot about packing these tents away in the right way so they don't get mouldy but what is the case if it is up for a whole year? :confused:

I hope you can share some of your experience, and any additional advice is very muh appreciated, thank you :eek:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
You might find some useful info in this thread.

I think I'd go for a biggish frame tent with at least 2 'rooms' and preferably 3; you need a bit of privacy from time to time.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If I was to live in a camp site for a year, with someone else getting under my feet all the time, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a Mongolian Yurt.

Jun 14, 2011
Cornwall
Thank you for your quick replies :)

A Yurt I am afraid is not in our financial availability...we are both students, she in Newquay, I am in Plymouth which is why we want to be in the middle since we don't know ho much longer she will live (should be at least a year though if it comes to the worst).

Well we thought about the 5 meter bell tent but at the moment are actually thinking of the 6 meter one (http://www.belltent.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=273) in which we could seperate the outer spaces into two seperate areas and teh middle as a shared one....since we are both students we wouldn't constantly be around each other...

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
Hi, nice plans!
I've lived on a campsite in a caravan for a year with my partner. We did the same in a tipi and a wooden wagon in Sweden. Living in the tipi was a great experience. I think it should be no problem living in just one space, as long as you are really close.

A tent can be outside the whole year as long as you heat it and keep it ventilated without any mildew. Be sure to impregnate it.

In our case the most dificult time was not winter but summer when the mosquitos were inside.

When picking a spot to put up your tent make sure there won't be pools of water in winter. We had that problem when living on a camping and weren't allowed to just move to another spot. Luckily we were in a caravan a foot off the ground.

Good luck!

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Not meaning to put a damper on things, but you will probably find that most, if not all, campsites will only let you stay for 28 days. probably worth looking into before you venture out.

Jun 14, 2011
Cornwall
Thank you gunnix, what a lovely comment and so much great advice :) We have grown together quite close and I think we should be able to manage it and need the little time out.

Eel28, as I said 'we are thinking about' hence I am collecting some advice to evaluate the probability of this plan. Looking at campsites is obviously one of the points on teh list but if the whole thing itself would be rather impossible starting to look at campsites no would be a bit too quick. Thank you though. :)

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Campsites are great for a hot shower but they are expensive and quite noisy! In the uk you will have to move often so weight and ease of use quickly become an issue, inevitably you will have to wild camp so colour can make a difference.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Its a great idea; Im thinking about it for when at Uni. (Im not domesticated enough to be alllowed to live in the same house as non-tengu.)

But I would rather have a caravan.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It isn't a foregone conclusion that your length of stay on a particular site may be limited. I can think of a couple of all-year sites locally that have long term guests, (residents). Look for the smaller all-year sites with a more basic line in facilities, ie just showers & toilets, perhaps not even that - you may find the odd farmer with a tank-and-tap site who's amenable.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Cornwall
Blacktimberwolf, yeah she is ill. She got adopted from Sri Lanka as a baby and due to the unfortunately insufficient circumstances there her body is not as tring. One thing is asthma butz we are already in Cornwall and it is highly important that she mentally believes that she can do it.

Mark, we looked at some Campsites and they seemed okay, rather big, not too expensive? Of course the long stay is still something that e need to find out...Camping in the wild sounds brilliant but we will still be students so unfortunately can't disclaim some modernity :)

Tengu, We thought about a caravan but I someho find them rather repellent? Though I did hang my heart on a couple of painted 'Gipsy-caravans' but they are for pulling and massively expensive. I find the problem with them is that it is basically a house compressed in a very limited space hence I'd rather do the tent thing with the camping site where the tent is pure living space and the other institutions are on the outside :eek:

bilmo-p5, yeah I am aware of the risk that it may not be possible but I will deal with that when I get there. Just like you I know about long-time residents on camping sites so I will look into that after all since it would mean that we would be there fall and winter as well I can not see why they would want to lose the money? But I thought about the farmer already as well, this is Cornwall, I'm sure there might be someone even though it probably won't be easy to find him.

Thank you, lovely people :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not sure it is any good but the Backpackers club has a list of farmers who allow campers in their fields. It is meant for backpackers and not people living for a year, but if someone on here is a member (I am unfortunately not) then they could let you know of any farms in that area who are in that list. That farmer might offer you a plot for a year but it will be basic.

I doubt the above is any help but it is information you might nothave known about.

As far as the tent goes I can't really help but I grew up with 3 week holidays in big cotton canvas frame tents. Later on my parents got a trailer tent. That trailer tent earnt its place one summer in France when a heavy torrential down pour greeted us as we woke up on our lat day. The dry earth couldn't handle the downpour and we quickly ended up with over a foot of standing water everywhere. Fortunately the trailer tent living quarters were higher than that and the storage was in the trailer so all our stuff was dry. The tent part went on top of the trailer under the tailored and rubberised tarp cover. It enabled us to pack up and go without any problems. Not sure if these are pricey but they can be quite comfortable and IF you have to move on and have a car they are quick to do that.

Anyway, as I said I am only putting ideas and options your way, I doubt they are much useful but I'd rather look into all things for something like this. I do like the idea of a year in a tent somehow but as a home owner doing the 8 to 5 thing (and often more) I am unlikely to do so. Think I'd prefer a yurt or tipi though , although I'd prefer the Bell tent prices. Good luck with everything anyway.

Jun 14, 2011
Cornwall
Well, I think your input was helpful and lovely. :) It's not sure if we are gonna have our on car at hand when the time comes so we won't have a trailer, though I did not know about them, - they are rather impressive those trailer tents aren't they?

You said your family used the canvas tent before you guys bought the new one...what experiences did you have with the canvas tent then?

I really appreciate every little bit that people add here after all this requires a lot of planning. You can never control everything but at least minimize risks for something bad to happen.

A Yurt as mentioned before is unfortunately so very expensive and not affordable for us...and a Tipi...isn't it rather small?

Shame, sometimes you want to do so much but there's just never time...I hope that if the idea lies close to your heart you will be able to make an arrangement someday :)

Thank you very much :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The frame tent was a four berth. It was simple rectangular floorspace with two separate "rooms" made up of inner tents. These were the two bedrooms and were 2man sized (I was a youngster but even so they were roomy for 2 adults).

These rooms were suspended from the sturdy tubular, galvanised (IIRC) frame. The rooms had a kitchen space to one side which we got a two hob gas stove with a double grill underneat nestled on a rack with shelves under it. We also had a hanging cupboard and later on a freestanding cupboard or racking too. The space in front of this was easily big enough for a picnic table capable of taking 6 people if needed plus space to the side. The door is to the side of this space. The front of the tent opposite the bedroom doors was a large window with curtains. This whole front panel could be zipped open or off. Also the side with the kitchen area could be opened and propper up as shade IIRC.

The whole thing fitted into a hug bag which my parents used to put between me and my sis in the car for the long journeys (we used to go from Lancashire to Bayonne area in Western France in one long journey plus ferry) so we couldn't reach each other to fight (I did say I was very young then in my defence).

I am not sure if it is really suitable for you. I know you can get anything upwards of 4 berths in this style. I think I've seen a 12 berth before now but could be wrong. Our canoe club used to have an 8 berth pitched without the inner compartments as a place to go into on club camps (usually sat around acast iron pot bellied BBQ for warmth while drinking and blathering on about stuff and telling tall tales).

They are held down by large plastic pegs and had a plastic valance around the edges which I guess you could put rocks on to give better solidity. Don't remember too many guylines though.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I lived in a nylon tent for an entire summer once. By the end of the summer, you could shred the nylon in your hands. This was due to UV damage. I had a screen house pitched next to the tent and there was no damage. The difference was that the screen house was made of polyester, which is much more UV resistant. So, if you buy a nylon tent, I suggest you make sure it has a polyester/UV resistant fly, or has been rated one way or the other as UV resistant.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... this requires a lot of planning. ...

Yes, it does.

It might be helpful to know a bit more about you. Your English is very good but somehow I think you are not native to Britain. How old are you and your friend? Are you male or female? How much time have you spent camping and/or living in temporary shelters? What do you know about weather systems?

If your friend has so little life expectancy I wonder if a camp site in Cornwall is the ideal place to spend the next year. You probably haven't picked the best country in the world to do something like this, have you considered going somewhere with a milder climate? If your friend does not have a strong constitution, I would worry that her life might be significantly shortened if she had to spend an English winter in a tent. Others have mentioned that there might be limits on the length of time that you can stay at a camp site. Some of those limits are laid down by English law. The local government has obligations to ensure that people in its care are safe and healthy. A lot of the rules and regulations about living anywhere in England are designed to avoid many problems which you will encounter if you spend a year living in a tent. A comfortable environment for living does not just happen. It has to be made to happen. Things like clean water, places to prepare and cook food, dry bedding, safe sanitation and the disposal of refuse should not be taken for granted. It is almost impossible to keep everything dry when living in a tent in the UK in the winter. It isn't always easy in the summer.

When someone suggested a caravan, you said "We thought about a caravan but I someho find them rather repellent?" You did not say what your friend thought about them. That worries me. Does your friend like these ideas as much as you do?

The area that you are living in does sometimes have bad weather. For more than ten years I had a house in Plymouth and kept a boat on the coast, usually between the Tamar and Helford River. I miss the area quite a lot but I do not miss the weather there at all. I have lived (not just holidayed) in caravans for many years. My feeling is that for a year, a caravan would be a much more realistic option than a tent, even if you only use it as sleeping quarters and to shelter from very bad weather. You can put an awning or tarpaulins (or both) on a caravan, which increases the living space a great deal and in my opinion greatly adds to the habitability. If a caravan is out of the question then a van, the larger the better, might be an alternative for storage with a very little security and for emergency shelter. You can expect all sorts of things to be stolen if you leave them in a tent for a year. Even locked in a van they will not be particularly safe.

Any fabric will suffer badly from attack by sunlight and it is always at the mercy of the wind. If you buy a new tent, tarpaulin, awning or fabric shelter of good quality it might survive a year of sunlight or it might not. You need to check how the fabrics will perform with the manufacturer (NOT with the person who sells it to you, because they will most probably lie). Any fabric structure can be destroyed by the wind in a few minutes. The Cornish coast can see large storms which can last for days. If you only have a tent for shelter you will need to have an emergency plan in case the tent is destroyed by a storm. If you have an awning or tarpaulin on a caravan you need to be able to take it down to prevent its destruction by the weather. Obviously in any case you need to know about the weather. That means at the very least listening to the forecasts on the radio. It will help to learn about the typical weather systems that are experienced in the UK, and if you can understand the shipping forecasts, listen to them regularly (several times per day) and learn to use the information that will be a big help in your own weather forecasting.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yurts or a big Tipi = big bucks, can you afford them? No? OK, back in the real world, take a look on eBay, find a nice cotton frame tent, £100 should see you right.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....3739&item=190542204549&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508 sort of thing.

You have a trailer or car then

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-2kW-Portabl...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item5ae10f940d Type of heater, you would only need it on a low setting in a tent so a bottle of gas would last you 10 to 14 days depending upon use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE