One rod to rule them all, one rod to find them......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I'm looking for fishing rod advice. I am lucky enough to live in Cornwall. A county surrounded on three sides by the sea, but I have never been sea fishing in my life. I grew up living right on the banks of the river Camel and so fished for Trout with a spinner and live bait from the age of about 8 until my very late teens. I have fished once or twice since and have fished the fly once or twice, but never the sea.

Ideally I'm looking for a good but cheap £50.00 max rod ( less is better though). one that will be a jack of all trades. The one rod that you would take with you if you didn't know where you were going and didn't know till you got there what you would be fishing for. A rod that will fling a spinner for Bass on the beach, tempt Pollock from the rocks, pluck Mackerel from a pier or will hike a Mullet from the estuary on some bread. Not the best at one thing, but the best at many things. It will also need to be a 3 or more section to pack down small so it can be strapped to a rucksack.
Ideas and recommendations please...:D
I have a couple of fixed spool reels that will do for the moment btw.

One rod to catch them all and in the fire fry them....

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Hi Steve.

I Splurged on a few rods a couple of years ago, one of which was the Shakespeare Salt Spinning Rod 10ft 1-3oz (3 piece).

I have used this off the rocks and kayak in Cardigan Bay and for cove beachcasting and pier fishing locally (Weymouth). Carbon...light, handles well and although a 3 piece, at only 10' it's not cumbersome. Caught bass and pollock from land and macs from the kayak.

A lot is down to personal preference and your preferred casting methods but let's face it...you have a BIG ask :)

Should be available for around £40 - £50

ATB
Sack

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
have a look at the Ron Thompson Hardcore range, very good rods at below you price range, i would recommend the 10' spinning rod for what you want.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Cheers Sack, I'll have a look at one.

I did find this, it looks like it would do most of what I'm after, just the price that lets it down really I could even live with the length at a push I suppose.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/reviews/rods/berkley_urban_spirit_rods.html

Steve.

Hi Steve,

LOL...but this is where the problem lies...remember your own words £50 :)

Shakespeare may not be setting the world on fire at the mo but you still get your fuji guides and carbon blank....

I now have 5 sea rods 3 Penns (much more pricey) 1 Older Shakespeare and this model and tbh as much as I love the other rods this one has caught the most fish...is it luck, fate... destiny...;)

I like the thought of the Berkley but I don't think it would warrant twice the price.

I don't know how readily available stock is at the mo, but before buying any rod I'd make sure you've had a feel of it. My hands are quite small but I have a stocky powerful frame. I don't have too much of a problem launching anything a decent distance, but certain rod/reel combos just don't work for me because I'm hand size challenged :)

Let me know how you get on mate

Cheers
Sack

Wild Thing

Native
Jan 2, 2009
Torquay, Devon
Steve

I bought a Storm Tempest Ranger 4 piece 9ft travel rod last year.

It will cast between 1 & 3 oz and each piece is a shade under 29".

It cost me £35, and I am really pleased with it.

I tried to find a link to one on the internet, but can't find one, so I presume they are no longer available.

What i'm trying to say is there are a lot of good rods out there in your price bracket.

I would suggest that you go into a local tackle dealer and tell them your requirements and see what they offer you.

Take it out of it's bag and put it together and give it a flick around to see how it feels. Then go home and see if you can find any reviews on the internet, who knows you may even find the rod cheaper.

That's the way I tend to do it when buying most rods.

Hope this helps

Phill

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hi Steve.

I Splurged on a few rods a couple of years ago, one of which was the Shakespeare Salt Spinning Rod 10ft 1-3oz (3 piece).

I have used this off the rocks and kayak in Cardigan Bay and for cove beachcasting and pier fishing locally (Weymouth). Carbon...light, handles well and although a 3 piece, at only 10' it's not cumbersome. Caught bass and pollock from land and macs from the kayak.

A lot is down to personal preference and your preferred casting methods but let's face it...you have a BIG ask :)

Should be available for around £40 - £50

ATB
Sack

Ditto, it's a good rod, apart from the car,I've carried it on my bike over to the rocks on Angelsey, as well as legering it's okay for float fishing too.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I'm a tight git me...:D

You agree with Robbi though that a spinning rod is the way to go rather than say a light beach-caster?

I have had a scout for the Shakespeare 3pc on-line and they are available under budget(just) I may have a look again at 2pc rods though, cost alone demands it ;)

Steve.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Wild thing, thanks for the tip I'll try to find the Storm rod. Good advice too re the tackle dealer I'll give it a try.

Opal, + 1 for the Shakespeare ta muchly ....

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Are you near Trago Mills Steve?

I bought a couple of rods in there many years ago - very much on the cheap but they are still going strong.

Worth a look if nothing else!

As already said - a 9 or 10ft rod should do the trick.
Andy

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
Mac, I do got to Trago from time to time, but it's always hit and miss what they have, I got the two reels I was talking about from there a few years ago. I'll make sure to have a look the next time I'm over that way...

garethw

Settler
A lot of the cheap carp fishing rods were based on light sea fishing or surf casting rods and are very polyvalent. A 12foot 2.5lb or 2.75lb test rod can be used for many things from float fishing in still waters for carp and tench or pike and zander fishing with live or deadbaits or even lures, to lure or bait casting technics for bass, and rock fish in the sea. Having fished for 30 years if I had to chose one type of rod it would be one like this... One of these rods starts at £40.
cheers
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE