One Pan food

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One tin of stewed steak in gravy, add carrots, peas, leeks and spuds. Add half a pint of beef stock and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.

Or

One chopped chorizo or salami, a couple of hand fulls of rice, half a diced onion, sliced or grated ginger and one pint of veg or beef stock. Cook gently until the rice is done, add more stock if required though.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sounds good, but I'm a veggy !

On my recent spey trip over 2 nights we had basic pasty stuff, my bro is a picky chap, but loved the day time tea stops with homemade flapjacks. They last ages to if kept in the fridge and a cliplock container.

I'm gonna try to make my own veggy burgers. Falafel is tasty too. I'm going to try to make a combom of those last two.

I have a grt 1st year class who give me a taster of their baking from HE classes, normally really tasty !

Nick

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
PS Any trips planned up here soon ?

Yeah just looking into something at the moment, I've been trawling SOTP bloggs for some inspiration for the last few days. I've quite a few holidays left to take so I'll be looking at a long weekend sometime in the next three or four weeks.
I was planning on a quiet trip to see the beavers but it seems they've all gone awol or the lochs are out of bounds for paddlers.

I really liked the look of Loch Ard earlier in the week when we passed, but as Chainsaw mentioned you're not exactly far from civilisation. Loch Voil looked interesting and also Katrine, trying to find possible campsites isn't so easy though on memory map.

I'm a flat water paddler incase you hadn't noticed ;)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Nick,

My mate Belzeebob and I love cooking in the outdoors and could probably post a few one pan wonders for you if you like. Though recently I discovered a great wee book that kinda covers all the basics in a good and informative way. Written by a couple who paddle a lot and understand the need for good, tasty, quick energy giving food. It's called "Moveable Feasts" Amazon link here: - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moveable-Feasts-What-great-outdoors/dp/1852845341/ref=sr_1_1/280-2424814-4495638?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257018102&sr=1-1

Definitely worth the cash, ( I have nothing to do with the authors or Amazon Yada Yada) and some good veggie and carnivore treats in there.

Cheers
Colin.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I'd say my favourite is rosti with potato, bacon, chopped onions, and grated cheese. Good winter one pan meal. Need butter and ideally an egg to bind it all together into a sort of 'cake'. Chris

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One pan cooking is a great way to get food in you when camping, usual stuff like stews and curries spring to mind ( sorry Charles, don't do the veggie thing).

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Yeah just looking into something at the moment, I've been trawling SOTP bloggs for some inspiration for the last few days. I've quite a few holidays left to take so I'll be looking at a long weekend sometime in the next three or four weeks.
I was planning on a quiet trip to see the beavers but it seems they've all gone awol or the lochs are out of bounds for paddlers.

I really liked the look of Loch Ard earlier in the week when we passed, but as Chainsaw mentioned you're not exactly far from civilisation. Loch Voil looked interesting and also Katrine, trying to find possible campsites isn't so easy though on memory map.

I'm a flat water paddler incase you hadn't noticed ;)

Loch Ard will be quiet and allow for long stay car parking. On the non rd side it is quiet.

Loch Voil could be done and right down to the end of Loch Lubnaig.

The beavers area and Loch Sween/Faery Isles are pretty amazing. Lagoons, Atlantic oaks etc. Very quiet even in mid summer. You could leave the car safely at Tayvallich.

Nick

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
One pan cooking is a great way to get food in you when camping, usual stuff like stews and curries spring to mind ( sorry Charles, don't do the veggie thing).

Curries are good, but just trying new textures and combos.

I often buy a soup and fortify it with more veg and add chilli or curry.

Nick

PS My names Nick, the Boats a Charles River.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The beavers area and Loch Sween/Faery Isles are pretty amazing. Lagoons, Atlantic oaks etc. Very quiet even in mid summer. You could leave the car safely at Tayvallich.

Nick

Just having a look at that now, looks a great spot. And just over the hill from where I wanted to see the beavers.

I'll be sending out some PMs soon if you're up for it ?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just thinking of Soya Bean stuff. Really like them raw.

Ideas ?

Nick

Raw soya beans are nice. A trick we used to do was to use a "nalgene" bottle as a green-house on longer trips. Pop in some wet paper with something like mung beans, wet it all down first. In a couple of days you'd have fresh sprouted shoots, that have roughly triple the nutritional value of the dried beans. They were also crispy and yummy, pop in a one pot stir-fry whith soya beans, spring onions, some freshly picked wild mushrooms,noodles, some soy and a few herbs and what-ever you can find / forage.... really good.

Hungry now.
Colin.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Nothing to beat a good pancake mix. You can do anything to it. Add savoury or sweet, veggie or meat. My favourite breakfast when I am out on a canoe trip is bacon, egg and pancake. For lunch pancake with added raisins and/or chocolate chips. Pour over condensed milk for a touch of luxury.:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE