One pan cooking

Sep 13, 2015
Bedford
For Our next outing we are restricting ourselves to just cooking on one stove (no fire)
Does anybody have any great recipes for 'one pot on a stove' cooking ?? P.s. I have the 'cheesy beans' recipe already !!!

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
Hey there mate, I noticed nobody has replied yet so I'll try to help.

Firstly there are loads of cheap recipe books on 'one pot cooking', you should have a little look around. Most things (if not all) that can be acheived in the kitchen on the hob or in the oven can be done outdoors, it just takes a little practice.

One thing I always do when cooking is think about the way the ingredients cook in the pot, for example if I'm boiling rice using the reduction method (1 part rice, 2 parts water, cover & boil until water is absorbed) I'll chuck a load of chopped vegetables on top of the rice about 8-10 minutes before it's finished and steam them while the rice cooks. Once done you can either mix the veg into the rice or scoop it off the top before you fluff the rice up.

I'm sure you will come up with your own ideas anyway, let us know how it goes...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lemon chicken? Shredded chilli beef and carrots? Bacon eggs and fried bread? Done all of them on a pocket rocket.

Think about it. A wok is one pan so most things Indian and Chinese are within reach.

Lemon Chicken by British Red, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sautéed potatoes and onions with salt pepper, just a sprinkling of garlic at the end with cheese corned beef and possibly mushrooms. Although you need a frying pan, you will obviously have one from your cooked breakfast.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good suggestions gentlemen but I would guess we need to look at simple fare.

How many are going, how bigs the pot, how long are you staying?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
you will obviously have one from your cooked breakfast.

Someone mention cooked breakfast? :p

When me and my lad went to North Wood, we had a chilli con carne one night... that would have been just as tasty without the rice as with... all done in one pan.

And at Britton Wood, although I may just have got my quantities a little wrong, I cooked some lamb in butter, added mushrooms and a Polish red wine sauce, chopped up some chorizo, then threw in some quick fry noodles (as it turned out, far too many) but it was a delicious meal all done in one pan.

Would love to try the mountain man breakfast Pete made as well... that is one large pan of deliciousness... he posted the recipe somewhere.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Most of my field cooking is one pan wonders
Corned Beef hash - boil spuds and mash them, throw in tin of CB (well not the tin - the contents...) and tin of peas, herbs , spices and sauces of your choice. Stir until the whole lot is hot and starting to brown on the unstirred bits.
Potjiekos - Steak and Kidney Potjie
4 kidneys skinned and chopped
400g stewing steak chopped
Onion
2 rashers streaky bacon chopped
wine/soy sauce pepper/salt to taste.
cooking oil or fat
Fry off the bacon and onions until onions are transparent in the bottom of the pot.
Add the meat (dust it with spiced flour first if you want)
Add liquid (Half a mug of water/wine or soy sauce and water) and simmer for a couple of hours. You may need to add more liquid if you have a high simmer.
Serve with bannock made before hand or add extra liquid and bung in some noodles :)
Get some Rat pack boilies and heat them up :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
While it may seem a cheat what about rat packs. surely they are the definition of one pot cooking. ( yes all right heating but still)

Madriverrob

Native
Feb 4, 2008
Whitby , North Yorkshire
Back in the day our ration packs ( ten man) were tinned. The ultimate one pot cook up was "all in stew" !
Tinned sausage , babies heads , instant mash , beans and sometimes even the pilchards , processed cheese and boiled sweets ! We didn't have much time to get scoff on !

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
One can broad beans
One can peas
1/2 can corned beef
Two or three large spoons of hot chilli pickle (optional) or alternatively a couple of teaspoons of habanero sauce (also optional, but highly recommended)
Heat until boiling then add
About 2oz cous-cous
and heat gently until it sets solid.

Eat with recently carved spoon.

Serves one. (If I'm eating it.... :)

I forgot the carrots!

Last edited:
Jambalaya, etouffee, chili, red beans and rice, "helper" type mac and cheese variants, hash and potatoes, hash and eggs, mulligan stew... Jambalaya is a great way to cook fish or game if that's a possibility, and if that doesn't pan out it's still good with just the sausage.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
This ones from my picnic menu so only good for the first night of a bushcraft trip, Burger Stroganoff.

Prep:
Decant a bottle of white into one or two cheap collapsible flat-pack drinking pouches. (Lighter and safer than carrying glass, found in any good £shop)
Grab a couple of burgers from the freezer, butter them generously then put back in the freezer.
Empty a can of mushroom soup into a ziplock bag and place in freezer.
Chop an onion and a good handful of mushrooms then place in another ziplock bag with seasoning herbs and splash of olive oil.
When you depart throw the burgers into the ziplock bag with the veg and stow next to the wine.

Cook: assuming everything has defrosted
Fry the burgers, veg and any foraged fungi till all nicely browned then deglaze the pan with a glug or three of wine.
Add mushroom soup and double its volume of water, throw in the pasta and simmer with vigour.
Have a mug of wine then check the pasta, you want the pasta to become al-dente just as the soup-sauce goes gloopy.
If the soup-sauce is still a little thin, have another mug of wine let the pan simmer some more.

If you haven't already seen it then the KennethKramm channel on YouTube is worth a look as he does some impressive baking on a stove with a cardboard oven.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE