One man and his dog and a gear test (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
We'll after the busy time of Christmas and the bad weather I really wanted to get out and test some of my new toys. On test were
An esbit coffee maker
ypyvyqed.jpg

And a bushnell backtrack
ysyvuted.jpg

So with the sun shining and no wind, cas and I set off into the woods

yduzy7ad.jpg

3u2e5ehy.jpg

vu3uqyte.jpg

First on test was the backtrack. This was the first time I had used it and it did take an age to acquire the satellite lock, it took so long that I thought it was not working. However it did eventually lock on and from then was very simple to use. The backtrack is a very basic gps that you can (with the press of a button) mark upto 3 locations and when needed will backtrack (now you know why it's called the backtrack) you to the marked location. Apart from the first lock it did acquire the satellites very quickly and was very easy to use. So a thumbs up on this from me.

Next on test was the esbit coffee maker.
I used a honey stove with a meths burner.

anama4uj.jpg

Now this is simple to use, simple fill with water, put in your favourite coffee and screw the lid on, then put on your stove. Next you just have to wait.....
u6a3epa7.jpg

And wait....
vusavu4u.jpg

And wait a bit more
ygyqudy4.jpg

Worth the wait as we did catch sight of some deer about
rubasega.jpg

Then the magic starts
adasugaq.jpg

And you get a fantastic cup of coffee in the woods, we'll worth the wait.
The coffee maker does also come with and esbit tablet cooker and if you enjoy a good cup of coffee then this is for you. I can see this being one of my most used items out and about, a big thumbs up from me.
But with the sun going down it was time to head for home
ta4adepu.jpg

u3a4esyh.jpg

Hope you enjoyed, it was my first trip report.

Oh also on test was my new possum fur and merino wool hat, very warm.

Thanks
Jazz

Last edited:

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Thanks for sharing - I've never seen a coffee maker for the woods! I've never been able to get my wife into bushcraft, but perhaps this might change her mind...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks for the wonder-along. I have the same hat, very impressed. Not itchy like all the others i tried.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE