One Knife and 6 Months In The Wild - What is your choice?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Six months, huh? Most I ever did was 4 months, 60 miles off the grid.
High carbon steel for a good edge. I can polish with sand when I need pretty or to take off food crust.
6-7" blade, simple Bowie design, 25 degree total included bevel. 1/4" (6 mm) thick along the spine.
I had that knife for about 30 years. Forgot to put it on my belt at the end of a day's hunt.
Went back and GONE.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
You already stymied my choice for the climate you described. I’d prefer a small axe over most knives in that climate. excluding axes also brings up another question: are other edged tools allowed? (specifically a spade) If not then I want a knife with a thick, broad blade and a gentle point that can also double as a trowel. In that case (a knife that has to cut, chop, and dig and be durable) I think I’d want a particularly British knife: the old M.O.D. Knife.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Come up to my place. I'll haul you all out to the most beautiful wild campsite that I have ever seen.
Really good water, you get used to the rushing water "white noise."
Set up with sheltered tent spaces for at least 6-8 families and a grand fire pit if you need to cook that way.
You will be 50 km away from electricity. Strike your camp and figure out which knife you really need.
Wrong.
Two, maybe 3 knives. A hatchet, a 2# kindling axe and a 4# splitter. Local firewood? You're screwed.
Maybe some debris piles about 10 km further up the road.

This is less that 2 km from that place.

100_1157.JPG

Reactions: DocG and gra_farmer

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
DSC01825.jpg

Got more than a touch of the lofty Wiseman about it

Reactions: plastic-ninja

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
One could probably manage with any half way decent biggish knife. What would I like to have? An axe, a large knife (like 15" sirupate or a big leuku) and a normal size knife (100mm blade).

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The big knife from my po.st #23 served me well from northern Canada to the outback and mountains of Australia
and back again into the western Rockies..
Since I lost it, I have tried to "make do" with a very elegant and old fashioned Kershaw folder but it isn't the same.
Mom bought me the Kershaw. Of all people, she understood how important the old Bowie was.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
puukko

something like this. Now here me out before you curse me! I love a stick tang and I think if the handle broke for whatever reason I might be able to fix up a new one with bark and resin. The blade spec is about what I'm used to so play to your strengths right? I find that blade spec much easier to use than anything larger. The carbon blade I think will be great for lots of tasks. Also with this size of knife I will be much more likely to use it within it's capabilities rather than using it to baton wood, therefore it will probably last and stay sharp a hell of a lot longer! My first thing to do would be to knock up a good wooden mallet or two and a heap of hardwood wedges. Don't forget you can split with a saw! Making camp where you have a good 'vice' tree would be a priority.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Come up to my place. I'll haul you all out to the most beautiful wild campsite that I have ever seen.
Really good water, you get used to the rushing water "white noise."
Set up with sheltered tent spaces for at least 6-8 families and a grand fire pit if you need to cook that way.
You will be 50 km away from electricity. Strike your camp and figure out which knife you really need.
Wrong.
Two, maybe 3 knives. A hatchet, a 2# kindling axe and a 4# splitter. Local firewood? You're screwed.
Maybe some debris piles about 10 km further up the road.

This is less that 2 km from that place.

View attachment 59760
Where do you reside
puukko

something like this. Now here me out before you curse me! I love a stick tang and I think if the handle broke for whatever reason I might be able to fix up a new one with bark and resin. The blade spec is about what I'm used to so play to your strengths right? I find that blade spec much easier to use than anything larger. The carbon blade I think will be great for lots of tasks. Also with this size of knife I will be much more likely to use it within it's capabilities rather than using it to baton wood, therefore it will probably last and stay sharp a hell of a lot longer! My first thing to do would be to knock up a good wooden mallet or two and a heap of hardwood wedges. Don't forget you can split with a saw! Making camp where you have a good 'vice' tree would be a priority.
I like the playing to your strengths, I am personally confident with any knife between 6 - 3 inches, but the control is better with smaller blades. I like that you went away from full tang knives, the Mora classics that a few have chosen is a smart move and like to have said, you can split wood any number of ways.

Reviewing this thread, I am changing my mind towards comfort over possible strength and function, and as for a lot of us the sweet spot is a 4 inch blade.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would choose a long bow saw and a typical survival knifes like Lars Fält knife, Skookum Bush Tool or Fälkniven F1.

Because I recently got a Morakniv Garberg I think I simply would take this. I find it is really convincing.

Reactions: gra_farmer

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Although it is probably the ugliest knife ever made, i would select the Wilkinson Sword Survival Knife, a very useful tool indeed, especially with the survival tube, in the handle and the wire hidden in the sheath.
There are advantages in a knife like this, very hard to lose it, because if you did drop it, you would probably break your toes, or trip over it, if you broke your leg you could use it as a crutch.
But if you had to spend 6 months in the wild, this knife would do everything you needed to do, from chopping down trees, to building substantial shelters, the size and shape of the blade makes it as good as a shovel, it's thick enough to use as a lever to prise rocks apart, etc.
It is one of the Ultimate Survival Knives, which is the purpose it was designed for. and it has a bottle opener to open your beer .
s-l1600 (2).jpg

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
''Wow'' that's a blast from the past, Yeah I remember wearing mine for the 1st time and my Belt dropping, And it cost a fortune to have a quality leather sheath made for it Back in the Day.
Mind you It does tick alot of the ''Could / Need to Do'' Survival boxes though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE