One handed first aid

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
ludlowsurvivors said:
Super glue is good for sticking wounds together...Probably difficult when "wet"!

LS

Thats good advice I had a cut next to my eye super glued after being kicked whilst playing rugby and it was good as new within a few days!:D

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
I have a good pair of surgical clamps, which work wonders for one handed repairs for holding things in place, bandages etc.

When I broke one of my knuckles in my right hand, it required a fair bit of contortion to pad and bandage it properly. It's all about using other parts of your body or something near you, a tree or a wall, etc. and of course if you have tokeep re-dressing etc. again practice makes perfect, if you think of as many possible "sticky" situations as you can think of requiring one hand, and just practice various dressings.

But i suggest a good clamp, and a good pair of clothes cutting scissors, they're both reasonably cheap, try SP Services, they're very cheap.

I hope this helps.

Wolves. :)

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mikey P said:
I'm guessing you will be in serious trouble if you have to use a tourniquet and you can do more harm than good with them.

Perhaps a small improvised tourniquet might not be such a bad idea after all...

Sorry - that's all a bit 'stream of consciousness'.

Any thoughts?

If you had 2 hands or if someone was assisting they might apply pressure on a pressure point to stop/slow the bleeding. There is nothing wrong with stopping blood flow for a short time.

The improv tourniquet is only temporary so you can put your dressing on without literally making a bloody mess of it. Then you could remove it and use your hand to apply pressure.

If it was a large artery :aargh4: :) you would be happy to have it on I am sure

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
if you must use a tourniquet, then it must be a last resort, Crush injurie opccurs after approximately 10 minutes, after that you require a whole different level of treatment.

I'd say if you have to use it, then no longer than 7 or 8 minutes at the longest before you release it, clean and dress the wound, then use the pressure point from then on. The tourniquet, is very much a short term measure.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Dances with Wolves said:
if you must use a tourniquet, then it must be a last resort, Crush injurie opccurs after approximately 10 minutes, after that you require a whole different level of treatment.

I'd say if you have to use it, then no longer than 7 or 8 minutes at the longest before you release it, clean and dress the wound, then use the pressure point from then on. The tourniquet, is very much a short term measure.

Correct - we normally say 10 minutes and then release. I am in the military and so we are often trained with battlefield first aid 'short-cuts' - use of a tourniquet may be vital when trying to extract a causalty from a hazardous situation.

As you say, with a crush injury (I think St John's defines it as 15 mins or more?), if you then release the weight, all of the toxins that have built up in the crushed limb (or beyond the tourniquet) will rush into the blood stream and it is possible that the patient will die of toxic shock. It's beyond my abilities but I believe a shedload of intravenous antibiotics are required.

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Indeed, it's a very handy thing to know should anyone end up under something heavy. I've been in St. John for a few years and during my nursing diploma I worked with a phlebotomist (vampire ;)) for a day and she uses tourniquets for raising the veins and taking blood samples. obviously this only remains in place for a maximum of about 2 minutes. I read a little about litary first aid, and borrowed a friends book which talked about field hospitals dating back to the civil war right up to modern day and treatment methods, well worth a read.

Raptor

Tenderfoot
Greg said:
Thats good advice I had a cut next to my eye super glued after being kicked whilst playing rugby and it was good as new within a few days!:D

The Superglue is available at good Pharmacies under the brand name "Dermabond".
Definetly not a good idea to use bog-standard superglue on an open wound. The Dermabond is best used with paper stitches after the bleeding has been brought under control. Its an excellent way to prevent further ingress of crud into the wound and will speed up the healing process.

Frank

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Raptor said:
The Superglue is available at good Pharmacies under the brand name "Dermabond".
Definetly not a good idea to use bog-standard superglue on an open wound. The Dermabond is best used with paper stitches after the bleeding has been brought under control. Its an excellent way to prevent further ingress of crud into the wound and will speed up the healing process.

Frank

Thanks, I have just the "Super Glue" branded stuff, not the cheapie stuff. Will look up the Dermabond next time I am in the chemist.

LS

mike68

Mar 2, 2007
oxon
Here goes my first ever reply.
I have been in the ambulance service getting on for 19 years and have recently undertaken a course in minor injuries, Wound closure is a subject not to be taken lightly. The potential for things to go wrong and stay wrong is huge, i.e. if the wound is not thouroughly cleaned there is a risk of `locking` in infection, if the wound was caused by broken glass there could be glass contaminating the wound, if the wound was caused by a knife how deep is it? is there any damage to underlying structures ( tendons)? Which would have to be repaired before closure. etc, etc. The idea that you can buy wound closure glue over the counter scares me.
If you sustain a wound which you have any doubt about put a wet dressing on it (sterile water or tap water) this will stop the wound edges from closing so they don`t have to be surgically reopened and get yourself along to the nearest A/E or minor injuries unit. I am sure if there are any other `medics` out there they will back me up on this one.
Sorry that my first posting is a rant but this is something I have strong feelings about. I guess I`ll have to say hello on the newcomers page.
Yours Mike68.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Good thinking Mike, But if you are leaking the red stuff in some distant place then it might be a case of sticking it together to get to A&E in the first place, After all we are talking "First Aid" here, not second aid, third aid et al.

I have several items for personal use which might be frowned upon, but life or death...only one choice really.

LS

mike68

Mar 2, 2007
oxon
Well I guess that shuts me up then!

I was trying only to pass on Knowlege.

I wonder how many of the 6301members and other countless browsers will be spilling claret in the back of beyond, miles from proffesional help,( raplleby 2000 on 02/08/06 asks his instructors about their first aid kits.................. "anything more serious you`d probably need professional assistance anyway".)
Whilst I don`t deny that in certain circumstances there is a place for dermabond in the field. I was trying to point out that there are many things that healthcare proffesionals consider before closing a wound.
Yours
Mike 68

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It is nice to see a balance of information here. Conventional medical input is great - it is essential to know some of those factors and that striving to stop yourself leaking too much needs to be balanced with other issues.
However, I like many members here is no first aid expert. We all make mistakes with sharps sooner or later and need some strategy or technique to use. Ironically most of the damage I cause to myself is at home but I still want to deal with things where I can. In the outdoors you want to be able to deal with minor injuries so you can carry on and major ones so you don't die.
I take Mike's advice as being, as he said, on minor injuries. Major life or death injuries are certainly a different kettle of fish :)
Edit: I've just found a link to a manual on wound closure via outdoors mahgazine forums Wound Closure

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
mike68 said:
Well I guess that shuts me up then!

I was trying only to pass on Knowlege.

I wonder how many of the 6301members and other countless browsers will be spilling claret in the back of beyond, miles from proffesional help,( raplleby 2000 on 02/08/06 asks his instructors about their first aid kits.................. "anything more serious you`d probably need professional assistance anyway".)
Whilst I don`t deny that in certain circumstances there is a place for dermabond in the field. I was trying to point out that there are many things that healthcare proffesionals consider before closing a wound.
Yours
Mike 68

Whilst I agree that, the idea of “Joe public” gluing a wound shut, and leaving it to the vagaries of a weekend camping in the mud, the blood and the beer, well that would scares me too. But I have to say that most of the people on this site know enough, or are bright enough to ask before doing something daft.
As a St-Johns trained cadet/first aider since I was eight I’ve dealt with hundreds of minor cuts, breaks, strains, and maybe half a dozen serious accidents some fatalities, some of which haunt me to this day.

Most people on this site have the enough smarts to know, that they don’t know everything and so are more than willing to learn from the experts/professionals where ever possible, professional advice is always welcome. It’s just that most people on this site know a bit more than the average Muppet, and are more than able to use/share their own skills and knowledge, quite a few have a “judgement” honed over years and for the most part are able to distinguish between acceptable risks and unacceptable risks,

As Douglas Bader said “Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools”

Me, I’ve plugged a sucking chest wound with a plastic credit card and some cling film that I found on the floor, I’ve also done mouth to mouth on a drunk driver without having a mouth protector, both “forbotten” by the rules of first aid, but two people lived, at least long enough to get “proper treatment”.
I’d steri-strip a wound in a field if I had to, clearly with the caveat of getting it seen too as a priority after the trip is over.
I’m sure no one here would glue a wound closed without checking to see if it was clean and making sure that it clear of foreign objects, especially as Dermabond costs an absolute shed load of cash for a box of six.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE