One for the archers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
After some DIY advice. Having recently moved home I now have a decent sized garden to use as a home practice field.

I was wondering if any of the archers have some good tips about making homemade target bosses that are durable enough to be used over and over and stop good power/speed arrows.

I am going to be shooting at 50 feet with a 55# compound bow.

Any advice and tips would be appreciated.

Harmonica

Forager
Jul 16, 2006
Clara Vale, Tyne and Wear
My old field archery club made target bosses out of layers of packing foam (same sort of stuff as a foam camping mat) sandwiched together one on top of another and then secured top an bottom with wood all bound round with that plastic cord parcels come secured in which could be tensioned then fixed in place.

The targets were then pinned to the front so arrows were going into it and ending up sticking in between the layers. Arrows were rarely damaged and the targets lasted for years and could be left outside in the woods.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I made mine out of strips of carpet 2'long and 5"wide held in a frame of wood, actually a length of decking . Stops arrows out of my 45# bear at all distances

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I've just knocked up a quick 'easel' style back stop from some old wood I have. Just need a target boss for the front now.

a4c3ea0a50b396e4c7a73db0f9548a63.jpg

08a9765a3aecc3b4d84a3f1829bef2ea.jpg

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
One tip I got is to shoot towards your own house rather than to a boundary,

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Loose hanging carpet makes a good backstop (It must hang loosely).

I wouldn't use wood for a backstop; if an arrow hits near the edge, there is a high risk of deflection. Good shots may not worry about this much.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
For a backstop not sure I would recommend wood, it'll be heavy on the arrows. I use 2 layers of debris netting, the stuff you see hanging from scaffolding, slows down and catches the arrows brilliantly and shooting into the garage is the way to go.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Foam matting compressed. grab some cheap foam mats from the likes of B&M Bargains or lidl etc..£2.99 a roll (cheaper after the summer has gone) Cut into 6" to 8" strips and compress in a wood frame. Depending on how big a target you need/want. The tighter the compression the better the grip on the arrow. Lots of tutorials on youtube on how to make one of these targets. you can also use rubber backed carpet to keep down the costs.

Like so..
b7ecd71fe3a8edd169868f1696036b76_zpsetcvaojj.jpg

Personally i use a cardboard box stuffed with old clothes and some rubber mat on the face side. A lot Cheaper and the arrow has never went further than 10" and i'm pulling 70lb's+. Just remember to bring it indoors in foul weather.

Remember this, Carbon arrows can get damaged if they hit something solid like wood, you may not see the damage but your next shot could explode the arrow driving splinters into your hand (google it)...always flex yer arrow to check for splits and hairline cracks before every shot.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE