One boot to rule them all: Lundhags which one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I am in the market for new boots. I've had several previous makes and none of them have lived up to expectations in the long term.

General (temperate/northern) wilderness use all year round: - sun, rain, snow. Terrain: low/mid level uplands, boulder fields, moor and marsh, woodland/forest.

I am VERY hardwearing on boots.

I need them (due to often stepping in bog so they overtop) to be high boots and not mid boots.

Value for Money is important as I don't mind paying for quality but these babies have to last and perform..

So the question is.....

Scout? c.£140
Professional High? c. £200
Ranger High? c.£180

Who has/had them and what are there thoughts? Is there any boot (in the same price range (140-200) that comes close to Lundhags in durability and quality do you think? Altberg Norway Veldthog? Filson too expensive.....?

Thanks for your views.

LBL

GST138

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2007
North Yorks
I have never had Lundhags, but cannot sing the praises of Alt berg enough. I am a Police officer and have had peacekeper and Field and fell. The feild and fell have a high leg and are waterproof. They are tough and hardwearing and when I bought them it was around 20 quid to have them resoled and 40 quid for a complete refurb which repaired any damaged leather and the lining.
I would recommend them for value for money, and the versitility of the repairs etc.
I have no links to the company etc.
I am sure if you bought them you would be happy.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I use Lundhags. None better, especially as a winter boot. Lots of toe space and durable.

I almost set up as the importer way back in 1982, but the usual story, not enough capital.

You know "I liked them so much I bought the company". Not quite, but they really are good. I thought they would be the answer for the Northumbrian hill farmer, tough and last forever. Unfortunately they cost too much up front, so the Dunlop welly reigns supreme.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Another vote for altberg here, i'm a dog handler, and wear the field & fells all year round, can't praise them enough.
And if anyones in the Lowther area (Scotland) there is one of their boot fitters in attendance at the British deer Society stand, of the country fair on 8-10 of august, also at the Rutland water bird fair(?) on 15-17 of august, good chance to get your feet measured and see whats on offer.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
scout has kept me dry and walking. I have yet to try a boot as good as that one. I find the more expensive models more encumbered with useless details which kind of spoils the simple ingenuity of the scout model.

I think scout is enough for most people. I doubt that it will be so cold in the uk that this will matter, but for serious cold it can be wise to have a second pair which have more room for socks and movement.

I can't really think of anything I would want to change with that model. I'm happy and haven't thought of buying any other boot again.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Professional High Leg but in brown (had them a few years now). And with a felt insole in the winter.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Lundhags Professional high. No discussion.

I had the opportunity to go to the factory outlet in Järpen and, lucky me, the big sizes were on sale. I bought a pair of Synchro's (excellent but big) and a pair of Professionals for the money of a pair of Synchro's.

I also own the predecessor of the Scout (called Trekker I think) and own them a long time. They are fine for short term expeditions on confortable terrain but will fail if you carry heavy loads. On the other hand, the Scouts approach the philosophy of 'less is more' the best. You'll only get an outer shell for your feet.

The Ranger look as a boot made out of compromises. They look slick but do not have the 'power'f eel as the Prof's do.

Another point: serious people I met in the mountains (like park rangers and forestry workers) had Prof's on their feet.

Good luck!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Lundhags Professional high. No discussion.

I had the opportunity to go to the factory outlet in Järpen and, lucky me, the big sizes were on sale. I bought a pair of Synchro's (excellent but big) and a pair of Professionals for the money of a pair of Synchro's.

I also own the predecessor of the Scout (called Trekker I think) and own them a long time. They are fine for short term expeditions on confortable terrain but will fail if you carry heavy loads. On the other hand, the Scouts approach the philosophy of 'less is more' the best. You'll only get an outer shell for your feet.

The Ranger look as a boot made out of compromises. They look slick but do not have the 'power'f eel as the Prof's do.

Another point: serious people I met in the mountains (like park rangers and forestry workers) had Prof's on their feet.

Good luck!

Nah, I think you've misunderstood the load carrying bit. It is not in the boot, it's in your feet, ankles and back (Sherpas use flip-flops for gods sake). I've carried quite heavy loads for long trips, and haven't had a problem (13 days unsupported journey through sarek national park). Most park rangers and forestry workers I met have used wellington boots, no matter where (mountains, forests etc.) or when (winter, summer) I've met them. Forestry workers aren't allowed to use Lundhags as they lack CE classification (but some will anyway of course).

Anyway, I think littlebiglane will be happy with any of the models. Just remeber that there are two different lasts (Normal, and OPTI, the latter being a bit wider) which they build the boot around, and they differ a bit, so try to test both of the different lasts.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Yea, I've had a pair of Lundhags for over 30 years and they're still going strong. I don't know the type, don't know if they even make them any more. But they are square toed and extended heel for ski mountaineering (so you can clip bindings straight on). Haven't ski'd for years, but the boots just keep on going.

Eric

Sussex Man

Jul 14, 2008
Robertsbridge
I've had a pair of Lundhags for about 5 years, they are great boots, however just got a pair of Lowa Munro's- fantastic leather lining (no goretex), brilliant quality, and £130.
They are the most comfortable boots I've had on my feet!

Meaghaidh

Aug 10, 2005
Peak District
Hi.

High Pro's - so comfortable, waterproof etc. Would like to longterm compare Synchro's

I also have a pair of Lundhags Jakt boots in green, thoroughly abused. Pay your money now! (I used to boot test for Scarpa, particularly on fault correction) There is only one boot for me.
Lundahag!

Paul

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Yea, I've had a pair of Lundhags for over 30 years and they're still going strong. I don't know the type, don't know if they even make them any more. But they are square toed and extended heel for ski mountaineering (so you can clip bindings straight on). Haven't ski'd for years, but the boots just keep on going.

Eric

So some models of lundhags take crampons?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
So some models of lundhags take crampons?

They will take alpine crampons, but not proper ice climbing crampons. They arent't stiff or warm enough for serious ice climbing anyway. Nowadays you have to custom order your boots to get the skibinding-type of heel anyway. Get proper mountaineering boots if you plan to do climbing or longer glacier walks.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
scout has kept me dry and walking. I have yet to try a boot as good as that one. I find the more expensive models more encumbered with useless details which kind of spoils the simple ingenuity of the scout model.

I think scout is enough for most people. I doubt that it will be so cold in the uk that this will matter, but for serious cold it can be wise to have a second pair which have more room for socks and movement.

I can't really think of anything I would want to change with that model. I'm happy and haven't thought of buying any other boot again.

Thatnks for this advice Big Swede. Due to tighter finances I don't think I could stretch to the High Pros anyway. I am thinking Scout, a size larger than I am and with the addition of felt inner soles or a bootee and/or a pair of thick angorra socks would do the trick for pretty cold weather? How far do you think you could push this boot (with the right insole and socks) in terms of climate/temp do you think? Could I, for instance feel comfortable in mid-winter in northern Sweden/Norway/Finland?

Your thoughts and experience of such boots and climate would be invaluable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE