On the hunt for Leather

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you want to start doing bigger projects, then you will have to bite the bullet and realise that leather isn't cheap!

You can get different types of leather but for stiffer workable hide, you need to get veg tanned cow hide.

If you faff on trying cheaper thinner leathers or splits for example, you'll just end up needing to laminate it or line it with something else, so ultimately you spend the same amount as you would have in the first place.

Decide what you want to make, work out how much leather you need then price it up.

sorry if this sounds negative but I've been where you are at the moment and ultimately there's only really one solution.

LePrevo are probably your best bet, you can phone them, tell them what you intend to make and they'll try to help as much as they can.

atb

R.B.

alecf

Forager
Jun 7, 2009
Nr Reading
Ebay is your friend for all things leather mate. They have plenty of all sorts on there and its the cheapest place i have found for a full shoulder of 3mm thick natural veg tan. Some links.

Full Hide. Much cheaper than leprevo.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leather-Shoul...UK_Crafts_Leathercraft_LE?hash=item4cecf723c4

http://crafts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Leath...eather&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

I keep finding that with the smaller pieces 4mm is more expensive than 5mm! Im thinking 5mm is too thick yes?

Cheers for all the help Bush people, been following the thread to help me get started on Leather too..

goodjob

..but I've found this has lead to many more of my own questions on the subject.. so I've started a thread.. :confused:

'Delving Into Leather Craft.. Whats What?'

Sorry Night Phoenix, I do not mean to stear these helpful people away from your thread, but I had so many questions, I thought it would be best to have a new heading title! :eek:

I hope you Leather Crafters wont mind popping over to see if you can demystify the subject a little further!

leon-1

There are a number of places within the UK where you can get leather, the problem is that a lot of the time you cannot then get the other bits that you need.

As the other guys have said the best bet in the long term are LePrevo, they are helpful on the phone and I have never had reason to complain about the service that I have received.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE