On dealing with neighbours

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Smile. Say hello. People tend to reciprocate.
Don't expect too much too fast: you can't tie your hammock to a sapling that's not yet grown.
Be yourself and explain. There's nothing wrong in saying to someone that you are a bit shy or socially awkward or a bushcrafter.
Ask to borrow stuff. Start with something small like an onion. When you return it, they will learn that you are trustworthy. They will be happy to see you because you smile at them.

My neighbours have become like an extended family. Most weekends we share a drink or two. More important is that they are now part of our support network. When they ask me for help I am only too happy to, because I know that they will return the favour someday.

Z

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Take in each others parcels ......

The Post Office now has an official scheme whereby neighbours give the posties official approval to leave parcels with neighbours - you could use that as an opportunity to meet/have a chat etc.

Are there any local organisations you could join eg Neighbourhood Watch, local societies.

Most local organisations are always on the look out for people to help - local fetes etc (where you can help out on the day and not necessarily get roped in to a regular commitment if you don't want it). If you like dogs maybe you could offer to walk one/some - I don't think you (yet) need a CRB check for that :). Or if there is an elderly/housebound person what about offering to do some shopping when you are doing your own anyway. They will probably say 'no' but it is another opportunity.

The change in the weather gives an ideal opportunity to chat. (Best not to say you go bushcrafting though - they will think you are totally weird at the outset unless they already know about your bushcrafting that is. Also my sister-in-law thought that 'bushcrafting' was some sort of female body art - so again better not to mention it too early :))

I'd say the aim is to look for things which involve meeting the neighbours rather than aim to meet them as such - the whole situation is just so much more natural.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Our neighbours to the left are a bit unfriendly- something to do with me replacing the fence between us (with their permission) and their side gate past their garage no longer closing correctly- it previously swung over our property by 6 inches- we offered to get the gate trimmed by a local blacksmith but the declined and asked a week later if we would pay to move the gate a bit further down their garage where it would close properly (it was only access to the side of the garage next to our garden where they kept the wheely bin) and I refused. Figured if they made an issue of it id ask them to repair their drive as the edging stones have all subsided into our front garden.

Our other neighbours on the other hand are great- Not too long after we moved in we went on a week's honeymoon and left them a key in case of problems- we came home to a fresh loaf and milk in the fridge- perfect when you get home late in the evening!

We take in each others parcels, chat about the weather, but know that if there is a problem then we can ask for help and vice versa.

Folks across the street are all pretty decent too- pretty lucky I guess.

KP

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
The thing about neighbours is to run into them accidentally. Nothing more hair-raising than a neighbour who is really keen to get to know you....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE