On canoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
There are quite a few threads on here where lucky folk head off for a paddle. The pictures always look spectacular and its something I'd like to try- but I haven't got a clue where to start. My brother reckons you need to take a course first to learn about the safety issues etc but again I wouldn't know where to start.

I've tried finding a Canoe club near Crewe on the internet without success.

Anyone got any advice?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I canoe regular, my suggestion is join a local group; look on the BCU web site for local clubs.
Join the club and try out a few canoes first you will find they all differ and some will feel better than others, when you have made up your mind go and buy one, clubs often have some for sale.
Then you will enjoy it more and there is a lot to learn when you are on the water rather than in it:eek: :eek: :eek:

Happy paddling

D

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
First do you want a canoe or kayak ?

They are different beasts. Canoes are open boats and if you get a big heavy one are unlikly to tip over a kayak on the other hand was designed by eskimos and the also invented the eskimo roll for a reason ;)

If you already have a boat then I sugget get in it and as long as you can swim and have a float aide on then things will usually be ok paddling takes practise. Buy the BCU handbook it has all the paddle strokes and also the saftey aspect is covered.
Once you have that you made.

If you like the social aspect of a club then join one but be warned if you join a club you will be exposed to lots of shiney gear that everybody will tell you you cant do without ;)

Good luck with your paddling

Simon

PS; Most waterways in the UK you have to pay for the privilige if you join the BCU you aoutomatically get a license for a lot of the watherways..

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Post an introduction over on www.songofthepaddle.co.uk then look out in the meets section. For meets that look interesting or local to you ask if you can tag along there is always someone who will always have a spare seat for a newbie. Cheshires out of my area but if you are ever further south I'd be happy to take you out on the water.

P1000847.jpg

Dan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE