On behalf of an Explorer Scout.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
An ex Scout of mine, now an Explorer has been making this in my workshop over the last two years! Ash body, Walnut on the back. Pink Ivory controls.

Charlie has learnt a fair bit about Table saws, Routers, Spokeshaves, Chisels, Bandsaws, Lathes and Pillar drills in the process. I've been really impressed with his care, attention to detail and the way he has picked up new hand tool skills. Very well done to him.

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

I particularly like the socket. Usually a hole is cut and plastic moulding screwed in. The way it was done involved lots of measuring and head scratching. With some nerve racking flat bit drilling, delicate chisel cuts and a lot of sanding it turned out very well.

I think Charlie is going to give up and use a plastic knob on the (volume?) slider, two split attempts suggests wood is not going to work well. At some point some Pyrography is going to be added.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
Looks fun! I'm a guitar player myself. Distinctly BC Rich-esque, but with some homespun character. I love doing simple woodwork activities with my Scouts and others at county events (eg. woggles), and so many of them just don't know how to whittle [is going to the woods with a penknife old hat these days?], so it's fantastic to see results like this. You must be proud; I know I would be.

chassybold

Dec 30, 2010
United Kingdom
It did take a fair amount of time, but I'm very pleased with the end result, doesn't sound too shabby either.
Massive thanks to Ben though, as without his tools, knowledge, and patience; it would still be a mere idea still floating around in my relatively empty Explorer mind...
Thanks again.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Charlie is very happy with the sound. I've not heard it through an amp yet, but it's nice unplugged. The strings sit a little high, I understand it is slighlty trickier to play, that is mostly my fault.

It is a bit sad for me how few of our Scouts have ever used a knife or saw when they start. I try to make a difference to that, so it has been very satisfying to see this project take shape. Hopefully we are doing something useful.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Warn him that making musical instrument will cost you dear ^^,
it is highly addictive and the tools to do it properly cost you a small fortune. A real looker it is that one wicked shape too ^^
Here is my gate way project I did when I was 16, and as I said, I am now an addict and will never be able to fully stop XD
DSC05169.jpgDSC05178.jpg

In today's time I also modified the stock but don't have pictures of its current state readily available.
And for all the future guitarbuilders out here, Dont try to wind your own pickups on a poorly made jig on the side of a sewing machine,
It will save you hours of dread and terror to just spend the money to buy some proper ones ( and you'll turn out cheaper probably as well ^^)
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE