OMM Rucksacks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Are OMM Rucksacks any good?

Anyone got one of these?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product599.asp?PageID=95

I've got my eye on it for my Birthday in the spring;)

If anyone has alternatives please leave a link:cool:

(Similar size)

Ps what does the +10 mean? top pocket? Is the main pocket 45?

Cheers

Edit: Not sabre 45, would like one but I'm thinking of something a bit lighter for the purposes intended

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It all comes down to fit mate-only trying them on will let you know for sure.

Others are Osprey, Gregory, Pod-sacs, Gossamer gear Gorilla, ULA. The latters would be my pick.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
You tell him Teepee, the fit of a backpack is so much more important then the weight of it especially in the lower Liters, as the weight difference is usually less then 400 grams it is more important that the pack can distribute the weight evenly, so that the way it will carry will feel lighter then the actual weight of the pack itself.
And buying a pack of the web IMO is a mission impossible as it is a product that really has to fit your body, like shoes, they first have to fit and you can't see that from a 2.2mb .jpg
Yours sincerely Ruud

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a 32 litre OMM pack which is tough, very light in weight and comfortable for me to wear. As has been said though, it is a matter of individual fit. Generally though, OMM has a good reputation and rightly so in my opinion.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Thanks for the offer mate !:cool: It's early days yet for this. Which ones do you have?

I'l see if I can find a stockist for the OMM, I knows there's a shop in Hathersage that stocks the POD packs.

Cheers guys:)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Thanks for the offer mate !:cool: It's early days yet for this. Which ones do you have?

I'l see if I can find a stockist for the OMM, I knows there's a shop in Hathersage that stocks the POD packs.

Cheers guys:)

From memory, they have Osprey too. (opposite Go-outdoors) If you go a bit further, there's the outdoor shop in the garden centre, just before Castleton. They have a few too.

Last edited:

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
I've got a Classic 32 and an Ultra 12. I've had the classic 32 for 3 years or so, and it's done many hundreds of miles at running pace rammed with stuff. It's starting to get a bit battered and worn now, but it's had hard treatment for a good long while. I've fallen on it, fallen in peat bogs with it, sweated unbelievable amounts into it, massively overloaded it and it's still good. The PU lining is starting to wear away from the nylon inside, but it never was all that waterproof anyway. Carrying a 700ml water bottle in the side mesh pocket for most of the miles has started to stretch/wear a hole, but that's only just happening now. They're a *lot* more hard wearing than they look.

The +10 is usually overload - if you let out all the straps to the maximum and loosen the straps holding the lid pocket down, that's how much extra you'll get in. "The neck collar of the sack is very generous" - so unrolling that will be part of the extra 10. 45 will be the total including the lid pocket, but these things tend not to be very precise. My Pod rocksac is theoretically 35l, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 3l more than the OMM 32. OMM measurements for capacity are on the tight side, whereas Pod are on the generous side.

As far as size/fit goes, I'm 6'2 and pretty wiry, and the OMM 32l pack fits me fine. Pod Rocksac size 2 is the right size for me as well. That said, there'll be hundreds of people of all shapes and sizes running around the Howgills with them this weekend (I hope they're having fun, sadly injury stops me from joining them :-(). I'd hesitate to spend much on a pack without trying exactly that model for fit though. Of course you can always return it to the sender if you find it doesn't fit well.

Generally for 'fast and light' like running a multi day route, a long adventure race or something like that, I'd go for the OMM pack. I've had other ultra lightweight packs and they've been much less hard wearing. That said, an ultralightweight pack is designed to have a limited life - they're not going to be the pack that you batter, mistreat and love for 20 years. The Pod packs on the other hand, are bombproof (but much heavier).

Edit: Try running shops - 'Up and Running' sell OMM packs in various sizes (mostly the smaller ones, but they might be able to get a 45l in for you to try).

Last edited:

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
From memory, they have Osprey too. (opposite Go-outdoors) If you go a bit further, theres the outdoor shop in the garden centre just before Castleton. they have a few too.

Yep ! I think you are right dude! And that's shop too, the one with the Cafe and the over eager staff who thought I was on the rob, lol

The other one you are thinking of is the Hitch and hike shop in Bamford, opposite the sign for "Shatton" ( I saw a load of D.O.E kids posing under the sign, makes me chuckle too) My mate has a sleeping bag from there on his "Lotto-win" list, think it's rated -50 or summat.

Sell some good stuff in there !

Cheers Pete !

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I've got a Classic 32 and an Ultra 12. I've had the classic 32 for 3 years or so, and it's done many hundreds of miles at running pace rammed with stuff. It's starting to get a bit battered and worn now, but it's had hard treatment for a good long while. I've fallen on it, fallen in peat bogs with it, sweated unbelievable amounts into it, massively overloaded it and it's still good. The PU lining is starting to wear away from the nylon inside, but it never was all that waterproof anyway. Carrying a 700ml water bottle in the side mesh pocket for most of the miles has started to stretch/wear a hole, but that's only just happening now. They're a *lot* more hard wearing than they look.

The +10 is usually overload - if you let out all the straps to the maximum and loosen the straps holding the lid pocket down, that's how much extra you'll get in. "The neck collar of the sack is very generous" - so unrolling that will be part of the extra 10. 45 will be the total including the lid pocket, but these things tend not to be very precise. My Pod rocksac is theoretically 35l, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 3l more than the OMM 32. OMM measurements for capacity are on the tight side, whereas Pod are on the generous side.

As far as size/fit goes, I'm 6'2 and pretty wiry, and the OMM 32l pack fits me fine. Pod Rocksac size 2 is the right size for me as well. That said, there'll be hundreds of people of all shapes and sizes running around the Howgills with them this weekend (I hope they're having fun, sadly injury stops me from joining them :-(). I'd hesitate to spend much on a pack without trying exactly that model for fit though. Of course you can always return it to the sender if you find it doesn't fit well.

Generally for 'fast and light' like running a multi day route, a long adventure race or something like that, I'd go for the OMM pack. I've had other ultra lightweight packs and they've been much less hard wearing. That said, an ultralightweight pack is designed to have a limited life - they're not going to be the pack that you batter, mistreat and love for 20 years. The Pod packs on the other hand, are bombproof (but much heavier).

Edit: Try running shops - 'Up and Running' sell OMM packs in various sizes (mostly the smaller ones, but they might be able to get a 45l in for you to try).

Cheers mate ! Now I get the +10 thing:cool: It's the overloaded look, like when I'm "caddying for the missus" lol

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Cheers for the tip-off mate !:)

I cant fork out for one at the mo but that's cheap !

First up on the list is an Underquilt, Mat's gunna do me one in Pertex 4, maybe a wrong choice? I like the quality feel of it, I have a Buffalo Thermaliner and i like the feel of it and I have a Alpkit PD400 sleeping bag, which I don't.

I'm a picky un';)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the 32 and its a great backpack came with a free pack of skittles too from backpacking light. Very light and tough nice features on it too strap with whistle removable sit pad and a helmet holder mesh pouch...i wouldnt change mine for the world...

MrHare

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2012
Skipton,Yorkshire
i have the 32 and its a great backpack came with a free pack of skittles too from backpacking light. Very light and tough nice features on it too strap with whistle removable sit pad and a helmet holder mesh pouch...i wouldnt change mine for the world...

Believe it or not, that removable sit pad is supposed to be a 3/4 length sleeping mat. It's on the short side for that, but does at a pinch.The one time I used it as such, I was using an orange survival bag as a waterproof layer between me and the slightly leaky tent groundsheet. The OMM mat slid out from between the shiny groundsheet and my shiny Snugpak bag, so it ended up on top of me. It wasn't noticeably softer than the ground anyway. I tend to take it out and use the space for a survival bag now.

The adventure 45 doesn't come with one of those anyway - it has a 'Platformat' which is apparently a piece of foam with a couple of alloy stays in it.

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
Believe it or not, that removable sit pad is supposed to be a 3/4 length sleeping mat. It's on the short side for that, but does at a pinch.The one time I used it as such, I was using an orange survival bag as a waterproof layer between me and the slightly leaky tent groundsheet. The OMM mat slid out from between the shiny groundsheet and my shiny Snugpak bag, so it ended up on top of me. It wasn't noticeably softer than the ground anyway. I tend to take it out and use the space for a survival bag now.

The adventure 45 doesn't come with one of those anyway - it has a 'Platformat' which is apparently a piece of foam with a couple of alloy stays in it.

Hi there
Please could you tell me the folded dimensions of the omm sleeping mat when it is folded up???
I am looking to fit it in the bladder pocket of an alpkit Gordon 30
Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent using the force

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi there
Please could you tell me the folded dimensions of the omm sleeping mat when it is folded up???
I am looking to fit it in the bladder pocket of an alpkit Gordon 30
Thanks in advance
Ben

Sent using the force

I have a OMM Duomat which I use under my feet and legs when using a short Neoair, dimensions are 45x80cm when unfolded, 45x20x2cm when folded. I picked mine up for £5 from a running shop in Leeds.

Same as this one

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
I have a OMM Duomat which I use under my feet and legs when using a short Neoair, dimensions are 45x80cm when unfolded, 45x20x2cm when folded. I picked mine up for £5 from a running shop in Leeds.

Same as this one

Hi there Shewie
Thanks for that, I may get one of those for the Saunders mm next year, although I could cut http://www.amazon.co.uk/HIGHLANDER-.../ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=vglnk-uk-c66-21
one of these up and fold it to fit like the omm mat, that would save even more weight but I would loose some/most of the comfort :-\
Thanks again
Ben

Sent using the force

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE