Olympic Archery

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Just wondering who is keeping track of the Olympic archery as there are a few of us who have an interest in Archery.

We haven't done so well in the team competition re-curve so far.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Was watching the US vs Italy match at the weekend. Purely amazed at the accuracy they can achieve even given huge arching trajectory of the shots.. Totally awesome.

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Which Koreans? North or South?

:) Hehe, well, I suppose it's both really, but in Olympic archery South Korea is where it's at, which is born out in the results in London so far. But speaking more broadly, North Korea has great archers too. Korea's tradition of archery predates the division of the country by hundreds if not thousands of years.

I was actually referring to the South Korean team's training for this Olympics, which involved, for example, training sessions on a military base with hundreds of soldiers shouting and trying to distract the shooters, and other crazy stuff. I think they're awesome!

E.g.: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443477104577549231886907636.html

Last edited:

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
I like the idea of targets with just the gold printed to really focus target archers in practice.

You get 10 points, 9 point or NOTHING! No breaking the line either ;)

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
You get 10 points, 9 point or NOTHING!

This is more or less what's called 'Hit or Miss' - it's quite popular at some clubs. I like it - it's a fun way of scoring, with some very different targets to the type you see in the Olympics.

Shooting on a smaller (60 or 80cm) FITA target at 70m focuses the attention nicely as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDieooBba4

So true. My medieval archery friends and I typcially shoot at a straw boss with no face. With just that, it can be hard to focus the shot, but with a tiny scrap of white linen pinned to the middle, everyone's shooting is much better. Aim small miss small!

WoodMan

Forager
Jan 18, 2008
Norfolk
I once shot in a counter-terrorist rifle compertition/assesment where the targets are large photographs of terrorists with hostages, the ranges were variable and unknown between 60m and 250m and some of the targets were partially obscured. You had one minute or two minutes to engage as many of the targets as you liked, they were scored differently depending on how challenging the shot was but the big factor was that if you took a shot and missed or hit the hostage (obviously!) you incurred massive penalties. It really teaches you to shoot with confidence but only within your own (or environmental) limitations. The scoring system was very well worked out so that competitors had to take on the shots to win, you couldn't just play safe. I only scored averagely as I played too safe looking back. Glyn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE