Olive green gabardine SAS smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
Hi,

I happened to score an olive green gabardine SAS smock in new condition on Ebay. From reading some UK military forums, I came to the understanding that these are very rare. I've certainly never before seen one for sale. The DPM and desert ones are extremely abundant in gabardine, while the MTP and even the black ones can be found occasionally.

Would someone happen to know a bit more about the OG ones? Like which units they were made for?

I love these smocks and use them literally every day...in addition to this green one, I have two black gabardine SAS smocks, two OG ventile smocks made by SASS and a green double layer ventile Westwinds smock (made almost exactly in SAS smock style). I guess I'm a heavy user :)

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The Windproof smock was manufactured in green until the late 60s when the DPM version became available.
Green was issued and used until much later in special forces circles though, as soldiers hung on to their old smocks as a badge of service or until QM’s had used up their stock.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
It’s worth noting that until recently, as well as the issued smock there where a number of companies that made smocks, each claiming to be lighter, faster drying, stronger etc.
These private purchase smocks would often be offered in far more colours than issue DPM.
Now the issue kit is actually pretty good there’s far less drive for private purchase (as well as MTP being licenced, and the army banning non issue) and many of the garrison makers are no longer trading.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The slotted buttons suggests mid 90s onwards. I had one like it but sold it as it wasn’t being used.

I’ve seen similar (last digit change) NSN’s for woodland, desert and a reed type camouflage, I think they were a private manufacturer but to MOD spec.

I’m not current with issue kit so may be wrong.

Rorschach

May 22, 2018
Finland
Ok, thanks. That's what I thought, too, that the Canadian style buttons might point towards relatively recent manufacture.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Google says the NSN comes up as a poncho camouflage, maybe worth someone with asset to the NSN database to have a looksee

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
CG is the DMC Domestic Management Code, this is a group of letters/numbers or a combination of the two that appear before the thirteen NSN Nato Stock number. You have to put it in on demand forms, its an easy indicator to identify who is the equipment manager for that particular item if you have a query.

If I remember correctly, Gucci smocks were often called obscure names such as "Poncho" to stop you trolling through the lists or SCOC "Supply Chain Operations Centre" disc looking for Gucci Smock SAS Windproof.

The Smock pictured is this one, I think. https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/products/british-army-green-windproof-smock "Chinese copy @£30 as advertised"

SAS smocks never had rank slides and the hoods didnt have the extra width with a wire stiffener. Obviously the SAS smock was for the SAS. Whereas the windproof Arctic had rank slides front and rear along with a wire stiffener in the hood. These smocks were for anyone serving in areas such as Norway,Falklands etc not just Royal Marines.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE