Old wok as firebowl???

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Found an old wok in the loft this evening (one of 4 I think from wedding presents, s0rry auntie Jean!) and I was wondering how it would do as a fire bowl?? It's aluminium, non-stick and painted but a quick fire in a ventilated area should sort out the paint and teflon. Would the Alu stand up to the heat more than a couple of times?

Cheers,

Alan

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
i think that would be a good fire bowl, infact im going to borrow my dads one and keep it as a fire bowl in my new shelter :D

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
hmm good point cb1, I'm pretty sure it's alu, it's painted and covered in teflon but the grooved bit on the base looks like slightly oxidised alu. You know I think I'll give it a go on a safe surface, what's the worst that can happen (cue horror stories! :D )

Cheers,

Alan

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Ally pans don't tend to survive on a open fire - as mentioned, they are too soft and warp, mostly due to the uneven heat distribution.

As a small braisier tho? I don't think* you will have a problem, because a) you don't care if it warps, b) you have airflow around the outside cooling it, and c) it's quite small, so the fire may well not get that hot anyhow.

I would chock it up on a trio/quad of stones, both to protect the ground, to stabilise it a bit (wok's ain't the most steady of things in my experience), to get the heat where you want it (a fire at knee height is much more use than one at floor height), and to help the braisier breathe.

I'd be more than happy to try it.

Your other option, if it is actually an ally wok with a solid teflon coating is to cook with it. Ali won't rust, you can dry fry stuff on teflon 'cause it is non-stick, a work is deep enough you can use it as a saucepan as well as a fryer - one pot for all occasions.

*=my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE