Old time ration bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
All this sitting around waiting for my sore bits to heal was driving me crazy. I managed to humph the old sewing machine up onto the table without busting my stitches, and decided to see if I could beef it up enough to sew heavy canvas.

I tightened up the clutch, beefed up the pressure on the foot with a piece of copper pipe under the spring, and took the stop end out of the thread tensioner and replaced it with a shim.

Now I can sew through eight layers of heavy canvas. Yipee!

I'm going to make a yurt for next summer, but just to try it out, I made five little canvas bags to carry my rations in. Tomorrow I'll make myself a Duluth bag to put them in.

Here's the ration bags.
canvasbags.jpg

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Got bored then, did you? :D
Wondered what mischief you'd get up to :rolleyes:
Nice one on the sewing machine and the canvas; useful bits of kit and excellent practice for the yurt making later too.
Hope you're really beginning to feel better.

Cheers,
Mary

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Eric,

They are really nice....I reckon you could amrket them at fairs and what have you

Red

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Geoff88, The big ones will take a three pound bag of flour and the smaller ones will take a bag of sugar.

Spamel, I drink gallons of tea every day. Black with sugar.

Dommyracer, I normally use ziploc bags but with these, I might try grated candle wax over the outsides then going over with a hot iron to melt it in and make them waterproof, then just use them as they are.

British Red, I might make up a few to sell on. Maybe offer them at the next meetup I go to. I'd like to get the Duluth pack and the Yurt made up first though then use whatever is left over to make stuff like this.

The writing isn't what i'd call neat at all. I did it in a bit of a rush at the last minute.

I'll put up a picture of the Duluth pack when it's done.

Eric

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
BorderReiver said:
Nice work Eric.

BUT,lifting sewing machines so soon after your op is not a good idea. :rolleyes:

He,s absolutely right on both counts, Eric.
You will chafe at it, so , chafe away but gaan canny.

Ceeg

We dont want to have to sew you a canvas sack and slide you off a hatchboard.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE