Old Singer sewing machine question

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Enjoy using my old singer but I'm finding it difficult starting and finishing. So far I've left needle hole spun item 180 degrees and stitched back spun again then stitch on. Doesn't alway seen to work. Jut wondering if in doing something wrong

Orric

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
have you left the needle down when turning the work as a pivot point?

do you reengage the presser foot?

If the answer to both of these questions is yes, then its probably a tension issue, ive had a few problems with mine and its usually "a tensioning problem" lol

HTH

Dave

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Give the fact that I am facing similar difficulties with my Husqvarna I'll keep an eye on this thread.:rolleyes:
Real guytalk, I'd say.;)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
you aren't a real man unless you can thread a sewing machine........IN THE DARK lol
yeah right regards dave

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Is it not stitching on the return at all?

When you do the last stitch turn it by hand if you can. Let the needle go in and start coming up so that the bobbin thread is caught. Raise the foot and turn and continue sewing.

Not sure if that helps any.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I know it might sound like a daft question but have you checked for a reverse stitch function - my Dad's one has it. Much nicer than having to pivot it!

This has been my thinking too. The lever that regulates the stitch length should make it backstitch if you push it as far as it will go in the direction to reduce the stitch length.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
This has been my thinking too. The lever that regulates the stitch length should make it backstitch if you push it as far as it will go in the direction to reduce the stitch length.

As this says but I'll add the ingenious moveable metal disk on the stitch length. Set the stitch length you want then move the thumb screw so the disk touches the bottom of the lever. Then when you move the lever all the way to the top to reverse the stich it is the same length as the forward stitch.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
mine is just a twisty knob Ian so doesnt move, and is hand driven, the only way to backstitch is turn the handle the other way but i've been told not to do that as it can break the needle apparently?

Dave

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Does the centre of the stitch dial push in? That should do the back stitch.

My 1954 singer has a back stitch facility and I'm sure a newer one with a twisty knob should as well (somewhere).

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
mine was made in 1936 mate, i've had a look at all the knobs but I cant find anything. my twisty know is just that a scre with a handle, there is no dial and also no numbers or markings of any kind

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE