Old Singer sewing machine question

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Could you explain a bit more as to what its doing -or not doing- . Is it stitching at all ?
If you start off facing the edge of the material on your seam line ,about an inch or so in and stitch to near the edge and then turn and do your seam you will not have such a bundle of thread as turning twice- hang on to the ends of the threads when setting off.

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It's sewing ok as long as I stitch straight. When I swivel the leather 180 degrees to do a back stitch it dont like it. There isn't a back stitch function. I'm just stitching straight and using a spot of glue, but I'd rather do it right without resorting to glue

Orric

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm not an expert but........I've had similar issues with the stitches not picking up on leather on the return (29k58) and think that going into the same holes on the return doesn't help.

I've no idea why, just seems like that.

Try the return stitching on a fresh unstitched bit of leather. Not the best for the finished project but might give an insight to the problem.

I can't see the machine knowing the difference between forward and back stitch. After all it's just straight stitch with material turned around so there should be no difference.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE