Old sewing machines (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
We picked this up today, the serial number dates it to 1916, another site says 1910 and that its a 15K which I doubt as the tensioner is in the wrong place, I think that it is a 95 of some sort

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You're right, that's not a 15k; looking at the size of the motor in that cabinet I'd say you've got an industrial machine that somebody has fitted to the cab., I don't recognise the model but I'd say you've got a cracking machine there. The cabinet itself is in much better nick than you usually find, and it's not the usual oak veneer, looks a bit like a walnut bookmatched job?

I reckon you've found a good 'un :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Yup it is book matched walnut the motor is big and heavy, friction clutch and 2 speed, it came with a dozen or so boxes of needles (88x1 type) . I need to shorten the belt as its too slack to run on the slower pully but that apart it runs like new.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
From a little bit googling it looks like I have a 95-1 made in 1916, its going to the shed today for an oiling and polishing.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
My two new machines..... Both in VERY good condition.

The 201k dates to 1954 and the 99k to 1936 IIRC. Both have been in the same family since bought new and came with original receipts of purchase.... both run so smoothly its unbelievable.

Thanks to Sonni and Mac for their advice :)
These babies will be put to good use...

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
My two 28K's side by side:

Mine6_zpsd131ea6c.jpg

1901 and 1904 respectively.:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ HillBill; they look really grand Mark, and with provenance like that? Invaluable :)

@ozzy1977; you've scored a nice industrial machine there, just had a little read up on that model.............Good stuff!

@Martin K9; a pair of beauties there mate; I've only kept one machine, and after much soul searching it had to be a hand crank :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... I've only kept one machine, and after much soul searching it had to be a hand crank :)
What was the count at your maximum addiction then?! I've had 11 machines at one stage although they weren't all intended keepers.... down to a Jones Medium CS treadle in custodianship, a Singer 66 treadle of my own, a Jones family CS hand crank and a modern Bernina and overlocker. Oh and 2 tailor walking feets just because I can't decide if I should bay them, they're pretty but not good machines. It's good to know this addiction is recoverable ;) Take heart Mrs Angst.... ;)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
We've just been given this Singer, which belonged to my girlfriend's grandmother. I think it's a 201k; at least that's what the little book that was in it says. From the serial numbers it appears to have been made in 1953. It's foot operated and is attached to a hardwood cabinet.

I hand sew everything, so I don't know much about sewing machines and was hoping one of you might know about it. I was hoping it might be good enough to sew heavy canvas and perhaps light weight leather? What do you think?

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had 23 Singers through my mitts over the past couple of years, kept the one 201k (of course!) and the rest were traded on, given away or sent to Africa. My hands are not very nimble any more after a good deal of surgery this past eighteen months so messing about with mechanical contraptions seems likely to be a thing of the past for me, hence I've got a good few bits and pieces kicking around that I ought to put up here for trade,
i.e. buttonholers, a motor and control box/knee lever complete set, and a whole yup of feet and their boxes. P'raps I'll put it all for trade soon; it'll need a bit of sorting first!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
@ Hibrion; it is indeed a 201 K, and will certainly stitch pretty much whatever you can fit under the foot; treadle machines take a while to get used to, but well worth the effort as they leave you both hands free to manipulate the work but are still manual.

Have a read on oldsingersewingmachineblog.com it's a great resource and contains all you need to know to get going....Your's looks a beauty :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
That's sad to be having to sell n your bits on bobs but at least on here, you know they'll be going to good homes where they'll be used to make some neat stuff :)

Hibiron that's a lovely machine and cabinet... get some various fabric and leather weights and stick em through, I bet you'll be amazed what she'll take :) Read through the advice and manual if you're new to machines, a good set up makes the whole process much easier.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thank you both. It's nice to hear we've got something practical that we can continue to use.

I guess I better learn how to use it now. Should I buy special needles for leather and canvas?

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thank you both. It's nice to hear we've got something practical that we can continue to use.

I guess I better learn how to use it now. Should I buy special needles for leather and canvas?
Yes luv :) The leathers are often spear tipped, the canvas, get as heavy guage as you can find and make sure your thread is good heavyweight stuff too. Match the bobbin and top threads to make as good a strong seam as possible :) Mac is the expert, listen to everything he says verrrry verrrrry carefully ;)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
There's certainly no shortage of heavy thread around here with all the hand sewing of leather and canvas I do, but I fear it might be too think for a machine. I guess I'll pick up some of that when I get the needles too :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Does anyone know of a supplier of feet for old Singer industrial machines, I have a 95-1 from 1916.

Cheers

Chris

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Cheers mate, not too far from me as you say about 30mins, looks like she may be able to help me with a few other bits I want too like a buttonholer and zigzag attachment

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have finaly had the wife up in her parents loft to get the details of her 2 old singers, one is a 99k from 1927 which was her great grans 21st birthday present and the other a 66k from1918, both electric and need a god service.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE