Old school thick and super sticky zinc oxide tape?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
As a kid, zinc oxide tape was the sort of stuff that when it went on, it stayed on. Even when the tape came off, you were left with a sticky residue for a good while after. Proper coarse fabric to it.

Proper stuff!

These days it seems to be a weak version that doesn’t last. Or is it just that I can’t find it? I want something that lasts!

Any recommendations?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Or maybe I’m remembering just straight dressing tape/fabric roll?

Either way, I’ve not come across anything as good.

My need is to hold a dressing down on an ankle and not have it work loose after a few hours.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Zinc oxide tape isn't what it used to be as you say. We use Hypafix at work to hold all manner of dressings and pressure dressings on. It has a bit of stretch so is quite comfy too. Vet wrap (can't remember its name in people use!!) might help too?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm allergic to the blasted stuff; it brings my skin up in seeping wet blisters.

However, Himself is fine with it.....and I bought a roll of 'elastoplast' in Home Bargains, got it home to discover that it was a roll of white zinc oxide tape. It had eventually to be soaked to get it off his shin, so I reckon it was pretty sticky.
Don't remember how much, but less than a couple of quid I reckon.
Worth a nosey along their shelf if you have one of the stores nearby.

Probably made in China :rolleyes3:

• Haha
Reactions: Big Si

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
I have been using gaffa tape and sniper tape for years but I don't like cleaning it off with surgical spirit anymore. So I've started to use this stuff and it's nearly as good BUT it comes 0ff relatively cleanly!

Si

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I’m past worrying at the moment. My ankle is knackered - skin too thin - even removed skin with micro pore! I’m now holding dressings on with bandages or just socks over sudocreme.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Mepore make some decent self adhesive dressings, I’ve had them stay on a hip incision for a week. Not sure putting Sudocreme on is good idea, and I’m certainly not in any position to offer medical advice, you need to get a face to face GP appt to try and find why it’s not healing mate.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What you done to yourself Stew?

I kicked a door many many years ago when I was annoyed that I had cut myself. I cut the cut stitched but the ankle inflammed and I suspect damage blood vessels. I've had progressing varicose veins in my right leg for over a decade. A few years back I burst a vein post surf while taking my wetsuit off so did see a Dr. They were not concerned. Then back in July this year I clipped the ankle again with my other foot while out on a run. A small cut that wouldn't heal and got progressively worse then better worse then better. Bashed again etc. I've seen a Dr but they just prescribed compression socks and dressings for the rest of my life.

Sudocrem is actually improving it out of anything else that I've tried. I think partly it's the occlusion side of it.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
That sounds like a horrific pest, a permanently open wound like that, Stew. I use sudocrem to cure all ills, but I sometimes wonder what else it is suppressing. Just ordinary health paranoia, I think, and still, no ill-effects yet.

This just me being curious: has it kept bleeding; or, has it coagulated and just isn't healing? There might be some haemostatic options that you could explore with your GP teamed with some kind of cyanoacrylate second skin treatment.

Or this:

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have really thin extra sensitive skin. Dermatic urticaria is a bit of a beggar to be honest.

If I blister and it tears, then I cover it with the biggest hydrocolloidal plaster I can find, and just leave it alone.
They stay on through multiple showers, etc., and by the time they're ready to just come off, the skin beneath has healed beautifully.
No irritation, no infection, no inflammation.

The biggest ones I have were meant for the folks who do long distance walks or kayaking.
The fibreglass of the canoe insides can rub against the ankles and leave them raw, irritated, etc., so these plasters are a godsend.

Might be worth trying.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE