Pecan Divinity

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In the past I've mentioned Divinity or Pecan Divinity and have had a few ask what it was. Well I finally came across a recipe and thought I'd share it to anyone interested. I haven't tried it myself so I can't vouch for it. TBH I've never tried to make divinity at all myself; I always used to anticipate my grandmother making it. She made it every year in the Autumn or Winter. Be advised that the humidity will effect the outcome.

divinity4.jpg

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 large egg whites, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans or candied cherries for holidays

Preparation:

Be sure to make divinity on a dry day; candy will not harden on a humid day. In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, heat sugar, salt, syrup and water to boiling, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking over medium low heat, not stirring, until the temperature reaches 266°. When the temperature reaches 260° beat the egg whites with electric mixer at high speed, until stiff peaks form. While beating, pour the hot syrup slowly into the egg whites. Beat for about 2 to 3 minutes, until mixture isn't glossy. Add vanilla and turn to low speed. Continue beating until the mixture holds its shape when dropped from a spoon. It will probably be too thick for the mixer at this point. Stir in pecans or chopped candied cherries with a wooden spoon. With a lightly buttered teaspoon, drop onto waxed paper. Work as quickly as possible. If mixture gets too thick to work with, add a few drops of water. Let stand until dry. Store in tightly covered containers.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a whole lot of us that can't OD on sugar any more.
Here's what you do instead, measure everything because it is DONE in minutes
Preheat the oven to 325F.
2 tbs oil in a deep pot on medium heat
2 tbs each mustard seed & cumin seed
when the mustard seeds begin to pop, dump in 4C pecan halves.
Now you stir, non stop until I tell you so.
Sprinkle in 2-4 tbs curry powder as hot as you care for, I use mild.
Keep stirring.
Sprinkle lots of soya sauce which dries up and glues the seasonings to the pecans.
Keep stirring. Maybe 1/2 tsp salt.
Keep your face out of the smoke = quite toxic.

Dump all onto a large sheet pan and into the oven for 12 minutes.
Done.

Pecan halves are $3.79/100g at present, just spent $100 for supplies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE