Old Kiln Forge Afternoon And An Apron Fix...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Hi...just got back from a visit to the Old Kiln Forge, based in the Rural Life Centre in Tilford which is near where I live in Hampshire.

It's run by some very kool guys I've got to know on the circuit in the last couple of years, John, Nick & Andy.

John asked me to fix his blacksmiths apron which was literally being held together with string and after saying to him, ''John, you can buy these new very cheaply, why do you want me to go to these lengths?'' I discovered that it was his first apron and personal to him so....being the softy I am....

check the state of this....

kept the original buckles....

and he wanted a strap at the back for better fit/support....

and bless him, he made my son Oliver a present whilst we watched....goes very nicely with the necklace that Dave Budd made him...Olivers doing very well out of all this!

If you live in the area I recommend visiting the centre, some interesting stuff...and John and the guys do personal tuition as well as commissions....the forge is just lovely!

and heres the man himself:

hope your apron serves you well m8 and thankyou for a pleasant afternoon!

Sonni

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Beautiful work bro, and the memories of the day and your friendship are now sealed into the Apron as well. I love the tales that go with cherished belongings

VaughnT

Forager
Oct 23, 2013
Lost in South Carolina
Wonderful leatherwork. I opted to buy a cheap leather apron when I needed one, and now I'm thinking about adding straps like you've done just to make the apron more "blacksmithy".

It's got to feel mighty good to know that your handiwork is going to be with that smith for many many years to come.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very nicely done indeed.

That looks like a nice forge. He's got over £1000 worth of kit sitting out the front of the workshop. :(

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE