Old axe head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Not sure my metalworking skills are up to turning it into a single sided bevel, how would I go about that?

From the look of the photo the axe is laminated if it is then only the centre layer of steel will hold an edge. If you make it into a side axe you will ruin it. Much better to keep the double bevel.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
I've had a closer look at it today, and it possibly looks as if it's a single sided bevel that has been sharpened up on both sides (unevenly). When I found the axe the head was heavily rusted all over and I wire brushed and sanded everything down. I ran a file over the bevels to clean them up but didn't create a bevel on the flat(ter) side.

what do you recon, was this a single sided axe that'spreviously been sharpened on both sides?

Axe bevels 1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Axe bevels 2 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Axe bevels 3 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Axe bevels 4 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
been having a play about with an old haft I had from another axe. The eye was larger on that axe so I've had a go at filing/rasping it down to fit. I've got a new handle coming so wanted some practice. It's a bit rotten at the top so I'm not going to use it on anything like this.

I did a very rough fit with a rasp, didn't realise how fast those things remove wood! have to take far more car with the new handle/haft :-0 Seems reasonably sharp now, not paper cutting sharp but will cut green wood fairly well.

test fit head by subZero rider, on Flickr

top view by subZero rider, on Flickr

rough fit on old handle by subZero rider, on Flickr

rough fit by subZero rider, on Flickr

cleaned up head by subZero rider, on Flickr

head with sheath by subZero rider, on Flickr

IMG_3655 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE