Old axe head

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Found an old axe in my dad's cellar, handle was split and rotten so cut/drilled it off and I'm left with a head. It was v blunt and rusty, so I've cleaned it up and am thinking of reprofiling it and making a handle for it. Any way to know if it is made of a decent steel and if it's worth repairing?

I've got myself a couple of nice knives now and a folding saw, so an axe is on the cards next :cool: it's either restore this one or buy a GB model:confused:. I've handled a couple of knives,but don't have a lot of experience with metalwork. Any idea how much work it wouldbe to restore this axe? The edge doesn't appear too even, so reprofiling may be needed. The black line on the edge is a permanent marker line on the vertical plane.

Maker's mark reads "Whitehouse Bros Ltd, Cannock Eng.

any advice appreciated :D

Axe makers mark1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Axe head 1 by subZero rider, on Flickr

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a kent pattern axe to me, but I'm no expert. Steel looks in good nick. I've got one like it that has been cleaned up and rehandled, and recently sharpened and it holds a lovely edge. Usually too thin to be a splitting axe, but makes a nice carver.

Go for it.

FreeRangeGoth

Jun 5, 2011
Derby
Depends what you need an axe for: this head lends itself to a relatively thin profile which is more for carving and chopping opposed to splitting, I believe. Also, the poll seems modified in some way, can't quite make it out. Although this may be to failing eyesight, failing sanity, or a combination of the two.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Also, the poll seems modified in some way, can't quite make it out. Although this may be to failing eyesight, failing sanity, or a combination of the two.

I think the line round the poll is purely decorative, I've seen it before on a couple other axe heads like that.

A lot of times the poll has been battered so badly it's 'mushroomed' and you loose that feature.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
"A lot of times the poll has been battered so badly it's 'mushroomed' and you loose that feature."

you mean the 'hammer' type bit on the back of the axe? The edges were folded over/deformed quite badly so i filed them level with the edges.

It would just be used as a general camping/firewood processing axe. Probably put a shortish handle on it.

Can I just sharpen it as it is or does it need the edge tidying up first?

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Looks in cracking order to me, a bit of a rub with an axe file/stone and finish off with some wet and dry if you want to really overdo it. Whatever you do though, don't cut it off along that marker line, it'd kill it. Cheers!

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
"Whatever you do though, don't cut it off along that marker line, it'd kill it. Cheers!"

I had thought of that but wasn't sure if the edge was supposed to be curved or straight. Less work to do is always a good thing. So what wood should I use to make a new shaft? Can you buy rough shaped wood or do I need to find a branch of the correct size, cutit and dry it then shape it?
cheers

Andy

FreeRangeGoth

Jun 5, 2011
Derby
You might find the handle you want in a small hardware shop, make sure the grain is true, hickory or ash will be fine. Plenty of info about how to choose or make a handle is on the net. It's certainly possible to make your own with a few tools- draw knife, rasp, etc. A shave-horse is ideal but a decent vice will do.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Traditionally beech and ash have been used as handles, especially beech, but to be honest so long as you don't use anything really soft you should be fine. I rehandled mine with a piece of apple root, and I didn't worry too much about seasoning it. Seasoned wood is better of course.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
"make sure the grain is true"

Do you mean the grain of the wood needs to run along the length of the handle, I assume that makes it stronger than a cross grain? I'll have a hunt around some local shops for a suitable handle. Then just have to find something to chop :-D

thanks for the advice

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Grain should run along the length of the handle, yes, but also, when you look at the end of the handle the grain should be parallel to the axe blade, not at 90 degrees to it.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Regarding the quality of the steel, Whitehouse axes have a good reputation so I'd imagine your head is made of good steel. Is the edge bevelled on both sides? It looks like it would be but I can't tell for sure from your photo.

Cheers!

Huon

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
A nice axe Andy mate, as others have said don't re profile it by cutting it on the black line as it is perfect as it is.
Two pounds is a good weight for an axe, if it was me I'd make it into a side axe but as you want it for splitting firewood at camp it is fine as it is.
Remember to show us what you have done when it is finished.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Not sure my metalworking skills are up to turning it into a single sided bevel, how would I go about that?

Photos will be taken during the sharpening/rehandling/finishing process, just not sure whether to polish up the axe head or keep the 'used' look

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Likely you'd need to remove quite a lot of material to remove a bevel and make it single sided. So too with polishing it, if you want a mirror finish. Part of the charm of old tools is their imperfections - try giving it a bit of a sharpen (not that it looks like it needs much of one) and using it for a bit, you'll probably like it just the way it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE