OK so I lost my Anorak and need a new one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
Hi Everyone,

I spend a nice weekend out with a mate last weekend, and unfortunatly somewhere along the way I must have lost my pinewood anorak/smock. I loved this jacket, both to wear, and use as a pillow at night (rolled up in its own hood it maked the perfect pillow). Unfortunatly when I went back to the place that sold them, they informed me the Anoraks are no longer supplied (if anyone has an adress where I could still get the pinewood anorak, that would be perfect).

What I'm looking for:

- Something water resistant, but not waterproof (I tend to get very wet inside waterproofs when it is not raining)
- Something windproof
- Something lightweight
- Something without a liner (just windproof, for insulation I prefer to use sweaters as they can be layered)
- Something soft, that wont restrict my movements
- Something with a hood
- Something less then 80 pounds.

Anyone got any idea about a replacement????

So far I have seen the smock at endicots, They just eppear to be a bit short (I'm almost 2 meters), and I don't like that there doesn't seem to be any elastic in the cuff. and no zipp at the neck. (could be I haven't seen this right so if I'm wrong there let me know).

Thanks for any input........

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
have a look at fjallraven stuff, for £80 you'd get a nordli at rrp, maybe something else if you shop around, highly recommended

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Norrøna amundsen arktis anorak or Fjällräven Gutulia is the best ones out there IMHO. None of them are under £80 though, but as always, you get what you pay for!

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch

Yes we may have a winner.....

Love this, meets alost all my requirements (allthough I didn't state it in the start of the thread I was hoping for something with more pockets). And like the price as well.

My thoughts so far .....

Man those fjallravens and norona's are nice, but rather expensive for the rough use they will meet...... for that enormous price difference that paramo has almost all I expect from it.

Thats why I love this forum too.

If I don't find something even better soon I will definatly buy the paramo.

Thanks guys

Nelis

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Oudenbosch
OK just to let you all know....

I eventually decided to get a ventile from hilltrek, made to measure and in double ventile. It arrived last friday, just in time (half an hour before leaving for) the dutch bushcraft meeting.

I've been wearing it for a week now, and at the bushcraft meeting it has seen quite some rain.

For me it is just what I have been looking for, and really don't think I have seen a jacket quite as good before. Off course it stiffens up a bit when it gets wet (like it as supposed to). But this effect is nowhere near as nasty as I had imagened. In the end I prefer a jacket that is a bit stif when it is raining, but idoesn't feel all moist and sweatty when it is dry.

The people from hilltrek were very helpfull as well, and very good to deal with. When they started to make my jacket I got an e-mail from Bill asking if it would be acceptable for me if they put in some side zippers, because I'm a big guy they expected it could be a hassle putting the jacket on if there weren't any zips. How right they were!

Just one tip, if you like your jacket to hang loose, let hilltrek know, as their standard sizing is pretty thight fitting. This also has it advantages when joining in, in activity's like chopping and cutting. Also compared to my last jacket it is more comfortable when wearing a backpack. The downside to it is that it is a bit more difficult to put it on if you want to wear 2 thick sweaters underneath.

So all and all I'm very, very, happy with my new jacket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE