Ojibway bird trap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi

I had a go at making one of these with stuff i had lying about.

Of course this is for fun only as traps are illegal.

I used a few modern peices of kit for convenience and illustration purposes.

The mechanism is simple. A small perch is wedged in a hole against a peice of string with a heavy weight attached at one end and a noose on the other. The weight pulls the peg into the hole using the friction of the string, The tighter the peg goes in, the more the string is trapped! The noose sits on the peg.

When a bird alights on the peg it (the peg) comes out of the hole, the string is not held anymore and the weight drops tightening the noose tightens around the birds legs.

[video=youtube;GFIR8aGnR1c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIR8aGnR1c[/video]

Again tpeghis is for fun only as they are illegal in normal circumstances.

More pics

attachment.php

An old hearth board was used for the peg board.

attachment.php

The peg was an old spindle which means it fits perfectly in the hole in the board.

attachment.php

A good heavy rock. Make sure it is held high enough over the ground so that when the trap is sprung it dosnt hit the ground before the noose tightens.

attachment.php

All assembled with rock at great height. Test it a few times to make sure it all comes together. This trap really has a hair trigger.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Andy,nice improvisation using the old bowdrill hearth.I have'nt tried out the Ojibway bird trap yet myself,but after seeing this i think its about time i got my finger out and gave it a go.
Cheers for posting.
Atb Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE