Oilstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
Rob, I know you said you were after an oilstone, but I would like to suggest that if you are looking to sharpen your [scandi grind] knife that the Japanese waterstones are the way to go. Here is a good combi version I bought from Axminster.co.uk a year ago. If memory serves, it is a 1200/6000 grit.

719623_l.jpg

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I'd agree on that point, been using japanese water stones for 5 years and they are a fanastic bit of kit, (they are quite bulky but you can saw them in half if necessary)

Greg

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Vince, you're right about the grits.
I have the 1200/6000 waterstone and i have to say they do exactly what i need.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I also come down in favour of the waterstones from Axminster, but if you do want oilstones you should be able to pick up the Norton brand from any decent engineering supplier, in a wide range of grits, shapes and sizes.

Dave

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've used quite a lot of them over the years, when I used to be a hands-on instrument maker. Really can't fault them in the workshop environment.

For bushcraft I prefer waterstones as I don'y have to carry oil, and its a lot easier to clean the knife after sharpening.

Dave

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
I was curious about your water stones. I use them in my wood working and they are fine, but they are much too fragile carry in the field. I also store my stones in a bucket of water or in a stone pond (a small water tight box with lid that keeps the stone submerged). The reason being is that once wet they become more fragile and are prone to breakage and faster wear if allowed to dry out. I like the water stones because of the finer grits that are available and they seem to cut faster. But for my knives I have always used oilstones. The thing about oilstones is that you don't have to use oil with them. I have used water, saliva and oil to sharpen a knife. The principle of the liquid, be it either water or oil is carry away the ground metal and provide fresh cutting abrasives of the stone. Without the liquid the pores of the stone would clog and reduce the cutting efficiency.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE