Oiling spoons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
WhichDoctorThat really is extraordinary said:
Oh hell mate - just wipe on 4-5 coats of tung oil - get it from b&q etc, its last a long while, penetrates, air drys, its tasteless and food safe - save the price of a respirator etc for a decent weekend in the green. seriously

Nick

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Pure Tung Oil I will go along with.

The problem is Pure Tung Oil is not common and many manufacturers sell varnish thinned with Naptha or Mineral spirits and call it Tung Oil.

Brand Name: XXX Tung Oil Finish
Form: liquid
Product Category: Home maintenance >> Finish >> tung oil
Home maintenance >> Wood >> finish, tung oil
Date Entered: 1997-05-01
Related Items: Products with similar usage in this database

Health Effects
The following information (Health Effects, Handling/Disposal, and Ingredients) is taken from the product label and/or the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) prepared by the manufacturer. The National Library of Medicine does not evaluate information from the product label or the Material Safety Data Sheet.
Warning from
Product Label: Danger: Keep out of reach of children. Contains mineral spirits. Harmful or fatal if swallowed. Do not take internally. Eye and skin irritant. Avoid contact with eyes and skin. Wear safety glasses and rubber gloves when handling. Vapor may be harmful, use only with adequate ventilation. If adequate ventilation cannot be maintained, wear respiratory protection (NIOSH/MSAH TC 23C or equivalent) or leave area. Do not use or store near heat, sparks, flame or other sources of ignition. Close container after each use. First Aid: If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. If contact with skin, wash thoroughly with soap and water. If inhaled, remove to fresh air, call a physician immediately.
Acute Health Effects: From MSDS
Inhalation: Can cause nasal and respiratory irritation, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, headache, nervous irritability, unconsciousness and asphyxiation.

Eye Contact: Can cause severe irritation, redness, tearing or blurred vision.

Skin Contact: Can cause defatting and drying of the skin, which may result in skin irritation and dermatitis.

Ingestion: Can cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Medical Conditions Generally Aggravated by Exposure: None listed.
Chronic Health Effects: MSDS provides no information about chronic health effects resulting from prolonged or frequent use of this product.
Carcinogenicity: MSDS: The ingredients in this product are not identified as carcinogens by NTP, IARC and OSHA.
Health Rating: 2
Flammability Rating: 2
Reactivity Rating: 0
HMIS Rating Scale: 0 = Minimal; 1 = Slight; 2 = Moderate; 3 = Serious; 4 = Severe;
N = No information provided by manufacturer; * = Chronic Health Hazard
MSDS Date: 1995-08-26

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
weaver said:
Ah, it helps to go read the first post to see what the actual problem may be.

I use mineral oil, I said that already.

Now, how do I use it?

I lay my spoon in a pyrex baking dish. (Mine is about 9" x 15") Cover it with Mineral oil and pop in the oven on 350°F for 30 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see that the oil is still covering the spoon. The heat opens the pores of the wood and allows it to soak up the oil. After 30 Minutes take it out of the pan of oil and lay it on aluminum foil to keep from dripping oil in the oven, now let it bake another 15 minutes to harden the oil. Take it out let it cool and it should last 30 years or so before it needs another treatment.

Did this last night with veg oil - spoons all very dark and sticky!!!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Personally I just wipe down wooden spoons/bowls etc (after licking them clean or even washing them) with a little of the cooking oil (olive if I am flush) that was in the meal I just prepared and ate. OK it only lasts until I eat from the wood again but then how long does it need to last. Never poisoned myself or had the oil go rancid yet.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Sorry, banging head gave wrong impression - sanded gently and just a faint burning smell left - otherwise all well - if a little dark! Brings out the grain well.

Shame mineral oil unavailable over here.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
richeadon said:
Sorry, banging head gave wrong impression - sanded gently and just a faint burning smell left - otherwise all well - if a little dark! Brings out the grain well.

Shame mineral oil unavailable over here.

Is this the stuff that's available from the pharmacy as liqud parafin?

Definitely not poisonous, my granny used to have a good swig every night to 'keep her regular'

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
weaver said:
Ah, it helps to go read the first post to see what the actual problem may be.

I use mineral oil, I said that already.

Now, how do I use it?

I lay my spoon in a pyrex baking dish. (Mine is about 9" x 15") Cover it with Mineral oil and pop in the oven on 350°F for 30 minutes. Check after 15 minutes to see that the oil is still covering the spoon. The heat opens the pores of the wood and allows it to soak up the oil. After 30 Minutes take it out of the pan of oil and lay it on aluminum foil to keep from dripping oil in the oven, now let it bake another 15 minutes to harden the oil. Take it out let it cool and it should last 30 years or so before it needs another treatment.
I did it last night as well, couldn't get any mineral oil strait away so just used the grape seed oil. They did go very dark but it has bought out the grain much better than just boiling and has given it a deep luster. Mine smell like caramel :D . They held up to the porridge as well!! thanks for the tip :You_Rock_ .

Now I've got to get on with making some more stuff to try out all these other ideas, I like the sound of this Tung oil stuff mite use that on the next one.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
weaver said:
Pure Tung Oil I will go along with.

The problem is Pure Tung Oil is not common and many manufacturers sell varnish thinned with Naptha or Mineral spirits and call it Tung Oil.

Im not sure what that list of things was referring to but it wasnt the tung oil that I use by a long shot.
Liberon waxes are available from almost any DIY shed in the country. There are NO health warnings or special handling cautions on the tin. It does say this:-

Pure tung oil
Highly resistant to water, alcohol, food acids. Tung oil (Chinese Wood Oil) is a hard wearing, weather resistant finish, ideal for surfaces such as kitchen tops,and utensils, tables, garden furniture, interior and exterior woodwork. Pure tung oil with no dryers added is a natural non-toxic product which can be used on toys and objects in contact with food such as salad bowls etc. Tung Oil is a penetrating oil which will allow the wood to age gracefully and develop a natural patina. (My Highlights)

Obviously anybody swigging it straight from the bottle is a candidate for the Darwin Club but licking spillage from your fingers doesnt harm at all. I really dont think all those cautions are entirely revavent IMHO.

Cheers
Nick

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
bent-stick said:
Is this the stuff that's available from the pharmacy as liqud parafin?

Definitely not poisonous, my granny used to have a good swig every night to 'keep her regular'

Anyone know how much this costs from the pharmacy?

IKEA's 'chopping board' oil is called SKYDD Mineral Oil and costs £2.99 for half a litre.
The ingredients are listed as 100% Mineral Oil (or 100% Mineralolja (paraffinolja) in Swedish). The health and safety stuff on the label states '... is a white mineral oil, it contains no solvents and is totally non toxic' and goes on 'Swallowing a small amount is not dangerous, but it may have a laxative effect.'

I assume this is the same stuff?

elrond

Tenderfoot
Nov 21, 2006
Alba
Is the concensous(sp) that Linseed oil is bad medicine ? and should I take the spoon I made for my son back off him ( which was steeped in Linseed for 3 days before drying)?

I'm really worried now as most of teh work I have done has been treated with Linseed.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Boiled Linseed Oil

Boiled linseed oil is used as a paint binder or as a wood finish on its own. Heating the oil makes it polymerize or oxidise more readily, effectively shortening the drying time. Today most products labeled as "boiled linseed oil" are a combination of raw linseed oil, petroleum-based solvent and metallic dryers. The use of metallic dryers makes boiled linseed oil inedible. There are some products available that contain only heat-treated linseed oil. These are usually labeled as "polymerized" oils though some may still be labeled as boiled.

As with Tung oil the pure oil is harmless. Linseed oil is actually Flax oil but extracted by chemical action rather than cold pressed as proper Flax oil is.
The problem comes from the solvents and metallic dryers used in commercial Linseed oil.

I would not use those spoons soaked in BLO for cooking. They will make nice decorations on the wall.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
beamdune said:
Anyone know how much this costs from the pharmacy?

IKEA's 'chopping board' oil is called SKYDD Mineral Oil and costs £2.99 for half a litre.
The ingredients are listed as 100% Mineral Oil (or 100% Mineralolja (paraffinolja) in Swedish). The health and safety stuff on the label states '... is a white mineral oil, it contains no solvents and is totally non toxic' and goes on 'Swallowing a small amount is not dangerous, but it may have a laxative effect.'

I assume this is the same stuff?
Thanks mate
I went to Ikea today and got some.
Perfect, 100% mineral oil and non toxic.
amongst the blurb it reads:
SkYDD wood treatment oil has been developed for untreated or previously oiled wood products which are used for preparing and serving food.
Heck i may even have a little swig too.
my quest is at an end and all for £2.99 near the chopping boards at your local IKEA. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE