Oiled silk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lightweight, waterproof, soft and flexible. Ideal for little bags (tinder, spices....)
Anybody know of a UK supplier of the fabric?

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks Match, hadn't thought of trying this way....there's one in Fife :) I'll phone.

Hi Tant,
The only problem with the stuff for Barbour jackets is that I'd really like to try the stuff for herbs, oatmeal, etc as well as tinder and I don't fancy eating the petroleum wax. The original drying oil used on the silk was linseed.....okay, it can stink too, but at least it's edible and it will eventually fix and stop tainting...but I was hoping to get some stuff that came ready processed. Just being lazy. :eek:
Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ESpy said:
Is oiled silk upmarket oilcloth?

If so - http://www.codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/techniques/oilcloth/

Scratch that - Andy's using lead to help the oil dry...

Excellent link and info, thank you :D
I remember oiled silk when I was little, it was flexible tan or ruby coloured stuff. Hard to sew neatly but when you did it was sound and the needleholes kind of swelled closed behind the thread. I know maps were made from silk too, were the sea going ones oiled?
I don't know about the lead being used to speed up the drying process, the oil will dry out eventually by itself, but it can take *years* :(

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE