Oil lamp ID?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Can anyone is this oil lamp I've just picked up? It came with two glass chimneys but not sure how to use the wider one. The glass base says 'use paraffin only' and the wick winders say 'duplex made England' although the P May be a different letter.

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_185504.jpg
    IMG_20211211_185504.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't recognise that straight sided wider one either :dunno:

If the brass ? ring fits on the top though, it would work well as a candle shade.
I have some like that where the brass (mine are bronze) rings cover the raw edge of the handblown glass shade.....so think upside down from what you have just now, iimmc ?
and the wide end and ring upwards.
MIne fit over a screw in candle cup and that helps keep the shade in place.
Really does work to keep the candle from fluttering around in any breath of air though.

M

Reactions: slowworm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've seen one similar - but not the same.

The brass ring should fit on a shoulder above the two flame control knobs; the outer glass then fits over the the inner chimney resting on that ring. I believe the idea is that you get all the light without the heat if you are using it for close work but I've never seen that confirmed.

Reactions: slowworm and Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think, but I may be wrong, that the term 'duplex' means it has two glass 'shades' - one the chimney and, the second, an outer glass. They are more commonly seen as an inner chimney and an outer decorative, and often coloured, shade.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
IIRC Duplex were a make or was it due to having two wicks?The decorative ring I know as a carriage.
Does the wider chimney fit the carriage and over the the other?

Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
IIRC Duplex were a make or was it due to having two wicks?

Ah, you could be right there - it's just every 'duplex' lamp I've seen has had two 'glasses': a chimney and a shade - but, now you mention it, they've also had two wicks and controls :)

Having looked again at Slowworm's photo, I'm not convinced the larger glass is the right one for this lamp - does it fit with clearance over the chimney?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Looking at the bits the large, straight sided, glass fits neatly into the large metal ring. It only just fits over the shaped glass. The dust on the large ring suggests it faces upwards.

However, the large ring doesn't fit snugly over the wick holder, it does sit on it but it doesn't rest on the ring, I may try heating it and then pressing in place but I'd like to see an example before I try that.

I'm sure the lamp isn't that old, so hoped to find some pics.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Just had another look at the image, I think the separate carriage & chimney are maybe off another lamp, (theres a carriage already fitted to the lamp).

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE