Oh yes, and here we have...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
... a Dave Budd Nessmuk hatchet

doublebitbb.jpg

am i happy, oh yes!

cheers dave, you're a genius

steve

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
head is about 500g, and about 12-15" long i think! i'll have to check my pm's with dave to be sure, or he could put us out of misery!

steve

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Damn that looks nice. It's the first time I've seen a Nessmuk hatchet that looks like it would work for me. what sort of £?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it so far :)

Shinken, I don't know what you mean :D Though I may make a mini version sometime ;)

The actual dimensions of this are:
530g total weight (I fogot to weigh the head before hafting)
Handle is 12 1/2" to base of head
5" face to face
edges are 2 3/8"
the handle is of ash (though not my prefered source, so we shall have to see how this stands up. sorry Steve:( )

The head is forged from an old hammer on account of the fact that I don't have the right size lumps of steel knocking about :rolleyes: I played with the heat treating on an offcut from the face ;) so the RC is about 58

I won't be making any more of these as it was a real PITA to do. I don't like symetry:rolleyes: I did swear rather a lot and hammers tended to fly arond the workshop during the process :cussing:

Still, it turned out ok in the end :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice for Steve then - a one off :)

Any chance of a downwards shot of the blade profiles? I'd be really interested to see how different the two grinds are on the bits (or are they same in a cruiser style? - they look to be different in the photo).

I think Cegga is cursing the Nessie design Dave too so you aren't alone!

No wonder Lee Reeves work is as high as it is!

Red

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Hi Sam, Dave is still working out the full costs at the moment.

but i'm away next week so its another week without it:(

but i'm damn sure that i'm looking forward to its arrival

steve

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ok first a shot of the end :) I had some trouble getting the wooden wedge in without sacrificing too much of the handle's strength in a narrow eye, so I F**k it and put a hammer wedge in. Believe me, it will take a long time for this too work loose in any case! The twos sides are ground differently, but becuase I have never seen teh real thing I had trouble guessing how different they should be from the photos. On retrospect I think maybe the cutting side is a little too extreme, but we shall see how Steve likes it after a play ;) I've told him that I will let him have it for a bit before I tell him the final price, that way he will get an idea of whether he likes it or not. I won't be charging extra for teh language involved :D

doublebitend.jpg

then a brief photo walk through the making of it. well, only the various stages in forming :p

db4.jpg

db5.jpg

db6.jpg

db3.jpg

db2.jpg

db1.jpg

db.jpg

I left out the more entertaining points as I don't think having a camera in my hand would've been a safe place for it :eek:

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
Thanks for the pics dave thats really cool, i've seen some already of course but its nice to see them layed out like that, looking forward to recieving this very much

sc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE