Oh deer, oh deer, oh deer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Pity the iPhone camera is so rubbish as these were magnificent beasts. Dog chased them until they stopped - that confused her and she just sat down!

Don't know the species, sure someone on here will get it in a flash. Either roe or fallow

null-7.jpg

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Three Fantastic fallow bucks; the antlers are for the rut later in the year. The season starts for those boys tomorrow.

They are pretty, but they aren't native and have been found with TB as they are herd animals, they also move on the roe, who don't like them.

They produce quite a lot of meat.

http://www.bds.org.uk/fallow.html

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
You would have seen more of them if you made it to the Sussex mete, small heard walked in on us.
I ate your biscuits and chocolate raisins by the way, nice they were.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
as posted by BR

"You can shoot a dog that is actively attacking livestock, when no other option presents itself or other options have been exhausted. Simply being off the lead is not sufficient - livestock does include all living creatures - not just sheep (you would be amazed how many think its okay for their dog to chase game for example) "​

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
robbi you cant shoot a dog for chasing deer as it is not livestock they do not belong to anybody until they die and then become the property of the land owner in which they died on.
I do not agree with dogs chasing and all dogs should be under control, atb wayne ps here is the latest ho guidence
Dogs
14.60 Section 9 of the Animals Act 1971provides a defence for killing or injuring a dog if the defendant acted to protect livestock, and subsequently informs the police within forty-eight hours of the incident.
The defendant can only act in defence of livestock in such a way if the livestock, or the land on which it is, belongs to them or to any other person under
whose express or implied authority they are acting.
Note that the Animal Act 1971 does not extend to
Scotland
–
see
section
13(4).

ps to op nice fallow, atb wayne

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
robbi you cant shoot a dog for chasing deer as it is not livestock they do not belong to anybody until they die and then become the property of the land owner in which they died on.
I do not agree with dogs chasing and all dogs should be under control, atb wayne ps here is the latest ho guidence
Dogs
14.60 Section 9 of the Animals Act 1971provides a defence for killing or injuring a dog if the defendant acted to protect livestock, and subsequently informs the police within forty-eight hours of the incident.
The defendant can only act in defence of livestock in such a way if the livestock, or the land on which it is, belongs to them or to any other person under
whose express or implied authority they are acting.
Note that the Animal Act 1971 does not extend to
Scotland
–
see
section
13(4).

ps to op nice fallow, atb wayne

What about on a deer farm?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What about on a deer farm?

Then that's livestock

I have two smallish spaniels - they both chase deer but I have no idea what they'd do if they ever caught one. It was interesting to see that Muddy was only interested in them when they moved.

Although beautiful and large, the deer are still a pest species and I don't think being scared by a "predator" would cause them long term harm.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Then that's livestock

I have two smallish spaniels - they both chase deer but I have no idea what they'd do if they ever caught one. It was interesting to see that Muddy was only interested in them when they moved.

Although beautiful and large, the deer are still a pest species and I don't think being scared by a "predator" would cause them long term harm.

I was just clarifying a point. Well wolves would've chased them in the wild were. Any herd animal by nature is ready to be chased, though we should discourage our dogs from doing it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
as posted by BR

"You can shoot a dog that is actively attacking livestock, when no other option presents itself or other options have been exhausted. Simply being off the lead is not sufficient - livestock does include all living creatures - not just sheep (you would be amazed how many think its okay for their dog to chase game for example) "​

I wasn't clear in that post Robbi - by livestock I was referring to owned and release animals and birds as opposed to wild animals. This would include farmed deer, released game birds and the like. I should have been more precise in my language.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE