Offroad Bicycle Lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Without looking at the links :eek: I'd say massive overkill on lumens. You could permanently damage someone's eyes with those. Especially on a head band. You need summat that throws. A wide-ish beam as well as deep. I use an 180 lumen on my head and it's more than good enough for fast wood trails aswell as road use.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
180 lumens is seriously underpowered for night time downhill trails.

For a long time the gold standard among mountain bikers was something like the Betty Lupine range at 700 lumens, but they cost a bloody fortune.

Some clever so and so took to making cheap Chinese copies of these lights which were 90% as good, but only 30% as expensive. The result is the MagicShine range:

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/

I have one on my to-buy list, and if you're looking for cheap but good lights for offroading, I don't think you can go much cheaper and get something that'll do the job.

I'm currently running 2 180 lumen Fenixes as my front lights for road cycling, but on muggy damp nights that isn't enough illumination. When the road is dark because it's wet they don't provide enough contrast and it is easy to miss a turn or pothole. On clear nights I would rate them as just passable for road cycling. No way would I use them for offroad though.

Yes 1000+ lumens is retina searingly bright, but they can all be dipped to a lower setting if someone is coming the other way.

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
with the chinese stuff you need to "adjust" the lumen ratings (ie they're over egged).

I use a couple of WF501B's (1 x 18650 cell in each), which claim to be 900lm. One on the bars and one on the helmet (held on with a couple of bungee loops). Total spend is less than £20 (deal extreme).

Usually I just have 1 on across the downs, but if Im coming through singletrack/woods I stick them both on.

The helmet one points down a bit, but if a motorist is being a dick I find a quick lift of the head makes them notice you.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Ah Mr Ford, we meet again! I've got a cheapo chinese torch (£10) with a cheapo chinese handlebar mount (£5) and its all good enough for a normal night ride. Torch is a cree jobbie, don't buy one that isn't. That £50 set you link to looks good value to me, and certainly bright enough for your needs.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Ah Mr Ford, we meet again! I've got a cheapo chinese torch (£10) with a cheapo chinese handlebar mount (£5) and its all good enough for a normal night ride. Torch is a cree jobbie, don't buy one that isn't. That £50 set you link to looks good value to me, and certainly bright enough for your needs.

Could even mount em on the front of the canoe, for those night paddles:lmao:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Joe the problem with using torches of any sort is they often don't put the light where you need it. In the case of my Fenixes for example they are really rather too focussed for use as cycling lights, but I overcome this by using 2 which I aim at different points on the road.

Dedicated bike lights will ideally shape the throw of the light into a more optimal configuration.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Could cyclists not use lights on their heads on roads especially extra bright ones? Last winter As I drove along a narrow but two lane road I was dazzled and confused by a group of bright lights at different heights bobbing about all over the place as a group of cyclists came the other way. A fixed white light on the front of the bike is what they should use on the road at night.
https://www.gov.uk/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82/overview-59-to-71

dogotter

Feb 13, 2011
north west
The magic shine lights are really good. My friends that use them at least once a week for riding in the peaks swear by them.
Check out Deal extreme. Cheap as chips.

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
The sweet spot for power vs not-much-money is something like this:

prod_113441.jpg

http://www.7dayshop.com/7dayshop-ss...ike-bicycle-head-light-handlebar-mounted-lamp

The subject of lighting is usually discussed to death on the bike forum I hang out on here:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=59808.0

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Thanks all for the advise.

In the end I went for the twin torch's, for the sole reason that they could be delivered in time for my planned night ride:lmao:

They were far better than expected, shining up the road almost as well as my brothers proper bike lights :eek:

Syrio

Aug 14, 2012
Midlands
I have the 2nd setup myself. You can get those for 17 pounds each now on ebay which is an insane bargain.

If anyones interested you will also want to get a wide angle lens for one of them which I have done and most other also. This gives more short range flood lighting on one, and long range beam lightning on the standard one.

Only downer is the charge time is quite long, though not really an issue if you are prudent with charging.

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
Don't want to come across as namby-pamby captain health and safety but watch those charging cell's like a hawk, some of those chargers have a habit of going over 4.2V; best case- you wreck the life span of the li-ion cells, worst case- housefire.

Oh and grab some silicone grease and smear a bit on the o-rings where the light screws together- it'll keep the rain/mud/roadkill out of the light. That tube should last pretty much forever with normal use.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Anything that stops "sorry I didn't see you there mate" Is fair game in my opinion.

Yep they certainly do make you noticed.

In fact I even have cars pull right over onto the verge to let me and my little bike come through. For some reason having 2 headlamps makes them think you are big:rolleyes:

Dandaman_24

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2007
W Midlands
I have one of these ebay 1800 lumen head torches. Had it 2years and use it pretty much every morning and night in the winter for walking the dog in the field. Great Bit of kit for the money. Yes it does dazzle if shone in the direction of passing cars people, but its tester to be seen than not.

Any idea where I can get a lens to give a wider spread of light ?

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
I have one of these ebay 1800 lumen head torches. Had it 2years and use it pretty much every morning and night in the winter for walking the dog in the field. Great Bit of kit for the money. Yes it does dazzle if shone in the direction of passing cars people, but its tester to be seen than not.

Any idea where I can get a lens to give a wider spread of light ?

You can use something translucent stuck to the lens should give you a big flood of light, some of the best stuff I've found is called 'DC-Fix' - its actually designed to be applied to windows for privacy. Translucent scotch tape works okay, cheapest solution probably.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE