Offroad Bicycle Lights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Yes it does dazzle if shone in the direction of passing cars people, but its tester to be seen than not.

I do a *lot* of cycling. My normal cycling commute is 150miles a week, supplanted by weekend and overnight rides of anything up to 200miles in 24 hours.

I don't actually agree with your above statement. If your lights are dazzling a driver, that driver can no long judge your road position, direction or relative speed. Neither can a cyclist coming the opposite way (which is a particular problem on narrow cycle paths).

Bright light yes, dazzling, no. You can have a flood of light on the road and enough spilling at driver height to be seen. If you are worried about being noticed, add a 1/2watt front light and put it on flash. A flashing light on the road says 'Cyclist' to any driver and gets attention more than 1000 lumens.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
a 1/2watt front light and put it on flash. A flashing light on the road says 'Cyclist' to any driver and gets attention more than 1000 lumens.

I would rather have a pair of bright lights (set up so the oncoming traffic isn't blinded) so that the cars may mistake me for something bigger, rather than a flashing light that tells them I'm a cyclist and easier to bully out of the way:rolleyes:

So far I have had a tractor pull right over and let me through, a couple of mad white van man types and the other mad drivers you get at night on the lanes pull over and let me through. If they knew I was a cyclist I would have been in the hedge (like a certain freelander did to me from behind):p

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I use twin torches too. One pointing down left side of the road, one illuminating the road ahead. I can switch the ahead one off when approaching an oncoming car.

Why would you want to be mistaken for a bigger vehicle further off?

TBH, I think the 'bully out of the way' or 'trying to run me over' almost never ever happens. I maybe have a close encounter with a car (which is usually due to the driver being dozy) once or twice a year. So that's in about 7000miles of riding, mostly during commuting time.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Why would you want to be mistaken for a bigger vehicle further off?
One word

"Essex":lmao:lots of mad essex boy racers (rally driver wannabes) round here, or the I own the road Bmw's (disclaimer: I know not all bmw drivers are like round here):p

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Really don't follow your logic.

If the boy racer thinks you are a larger vehicle that is further away, that means they don't actually know where you are. May as well be invisible.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
have been gauping at ebay and candle power forums. Apparrently CREE R5 leds are the most efficcient , and there's some twin and rear one's on ebay

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE