Off To Norway!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
yeah I hear the public transport is actually very good out there. My worry with that is that Im not very good at packing light and getting a plane over means a limit of 20kg, I had been hoping to take most of my food over to.

Gailainne

Life Member
Lindz

Prices in Sweden are comparable with the UK, for shopping, and stock a surprising amount of products you'll recognise.

The Swedish camping laws are very similar to Scotlands, although they in general respect "The Nature" a lot more.

I don't know where your holiday home is, but Varmland was where I was, stunning scenery, reminded me a great deal of the West coast of Scotland, similar vegetation and trees, but its a lot more natural, you can drink straight from the lakes, no filters required, we had Ospreys nesting on an Island off shore, an active Beaver dam up the lake a bit, Moose and Deer in the woods around us. Further North we saw Linx and Wolf tracks, :( Damn I want to go back now.

You'll have a great time, I expect to see some fantastic paintings when you get back, you'll be inspired.

Stephen

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its beginning to sound even better than Norway, all it lacks is them Norweigian blue parrots!

All I know is that the cottage is 2 hours from stockholm and out in the woods, and that her parents might give us a grand tour of sweden when we get there.

About Ferries to Scandinavia:
Hi Firecrest, I think you'll have a great time in Sweden anyway, so perhaps it's not necessary to go all the way to Norway (Although it is SO much more dramatic and amazing).
We have done a few trips over the past couple of years so have looked into the transport options. Direct passenger Ferries to Norway AND Sweden are gone for good as far as I am aware, and the cheap flights from Ryan Air etc are the reason the ferries are no longer commercially viable to operate.
So that leaves two options..
1: Cheap flight to a local airport + car hire (tricky if you like to do comfortable camping or take your canoe etc, and car hire in Scandinavia in general, and Norway in particular is very expensive)
2: Alternative Ferry Route. This is what we did last year, it's a long drive, but we did go for a month...Ferry from Harwich - Esberg (in Denmark) you can now drive via Copenhagen and over the bridge up to Gothenburg. But what we did and was actually a great part of the holiday, was to drive up through Denmark to the very Northern tip, which is basically a long sandy spit called Skagen, camped one night there, then there's a ferry from Fredrikshavn to Gothenburg which takes about 2.5hrs. Driving from Gothenburg to the Norwegian border takes about 3hrs, and to get up into the really interesting stuff takes about 6 - 10hrs. (I know it's a long way!)

Small bit of good news... there ARE still commercial i.e freight / truck ferries to Sweden (Gothenburg), on which you are allowed to travel as a passenger, and take your car. They are fairly basic, and take ages to get there but maybe it's an option. Bad news is they sound like they should be dirt cheap, but actually aren't. Have a look at...
http://www.dfdstorline.com/DfdsTorLine/EN/Presentation/Passengers/index.htm
Hope this was some help.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
he listen i`ve spent many years in norway for three months at a time if you can get their go,but what i would do is do it the bushcraft way,work out a horesshoe route leave the motor and off you go ,take your kit on your back wiyh the bread mix ,rations dried sausage,etc etc,do it wild it is so big it`ll cost you nothing for 7 days roughing it in the bush,but as a couple have said summer midges like you`ve never seen especially southward,also permits for the summer for fishing but hay if your wild evening is the best time.Money in your pocket,if you ned somthing the nearest farm will help out as they are the nicest and most gentile people in europe.GOODLUCK AND GO FOR IT

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Norway, great place to go and camp, but I hope you are prepared, visit this website http://www.visitnorway.com/ to get info on all permits you will need for camping and fishing, remember that during the summer you Do need a fishing and camping permit, these can be purchased on line.

You only need a licence for fishing in freshwater - the same as the UK. Sea fishing is free.

Anyway, Firecrest is going to Sweden - let us know how it goes because it's one on my list of places to spend some time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE