Off To Norway!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Well finally Ive got the time and money to go to Norway like I mentioned last year. Me and Phil have booked mid august off to go, and are currently planning if to go by car or plane/car rental. We plan to camp about the country, probably on designated campsites, Id like to rough it...maybe, depends when we get there.
I know a few people have been over to Norway, we are mainly planning to stay in the south as its a long journey to the North , though we have two weeks I dont think Im equipped for that. I just want peoples tips really. I suspect car rental is hugely expensive? whats the nicest places to see? Is there a good route to take around the country?:D:D:D

I hope it doesnt fall through again, I need a holiday I havent been abroad for three years.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
You must must must take a midge head net at the bare minimum! you start tramping round the lakes and boggy areas your going to inhale enough protein to provide your yearly intake.

Apart from that, enjoy it, as it is stunning country.

D

Deleted dude 7861

Awesome Lindsey have a great time! I'm off there for 3 weeks (23 days) in September going by car and travelling across Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark.

Let us all know what it's like camping there as I plan to do the same thing :)

Plenty of photos please! :D

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Norway is fantastic but very expensive , take loads of food as you will starve if you dont ,
loads of fine camping spots and wild camping no problem loads do it .
Driving can be hard work as the speed limit is low and enforced ,
The road tunnels are amazing.
I would go back tommorow ..love the place .
Have a good trip
Twodogs
2008_0425wolf0048.jpg

2008_0110wolf0474-1.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Norway is fantastic - a picture postcard everywhere you look. There are good quiet campsites and plenty of rough camping opportunities. Driving can be tedious at 50mph max so my advice would be to pick an area and tour around there. We trekked in Land Rovers for three weeks and probably drove too far but did see a lot of the country. I could easily spend two weeks in the Lofoten Islands alone and would recommend it if you could make it to there.

Everyone fishes on the coast and the campsites often have filleting stations with running water as well as boats for hire. Drink is expensive as are restaurants but, if you're sensible, it doesn't have to cost too much to eat well out there.

So, buy a guide book, choose one area that doesn't require you drive every day, and enjoy it. I will definitely go back.

Broch

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
so can anyone fish, do you need a license?

Probably wont be drinking much. can I bring my own alcohol?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
No licence needed on the coast; we were catching fish at midnight in daylight! There are a few web sites suggesting the best places for some big fish but in reality the fishing is good all along the coast.

Here's the stated duty free allowance (per person) for Norway (they're not in the EU):

a) 1 litre of beverages with more than 22 up to and including 60 % alcohol per volume as well as 1,5 litre with more than 2.5 up to and including 22 % alcohol per volume
or
3 litres with more than 2.5 up to and including 22 % alcohol per volume.

b) 2 litres of beer with more than 2.5 or other beverages with more than 2.5 up to and including 4.75 % alcohol per volume.

This means that you may for example bring with you 5 litres of beer provided you do not have with you any other alcoholic beverages.

Only persons over the age of 18 are allowed to import alcoholic beverages. For importing alcoholic beverages with more than 22 % alcohol per volume the minimum age is 20.

Cheers!

Broch

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Flipping heck, turns out the last direct ferry between Norway and the UK was withdrawn in sept 2008

rather than go through the trouble of driving up round europe its probably better we fly out and get car rental (£15 a day) though that means packing light.

good god why do things always have to become complicated!!

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
You can claim the Tax back off any purchases made in Norway.
So any of the (expensive)kit you might see there might become more attractive once you take the tax off.
The store will normally issue you a tax free reciept ,and the money can be reclaimed at the airport or ferry on departure.Its nice to be given money back at the end of the holiday for a change.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
That's ridiculous! I hope this is a temporary situation otherwise trekking in Norway again is out for me.

I think I would be tempted to go somewhere else this summer in the hope that a new ferry is put in some time in the future - after all Norway's not going anywhere! I've still got plenty of places I want to visit so delaying a year wouldn't bother me but I know what it's like when you've set your mind on doing something - it's hard to accept another option.

You have my sympathy (although I know that doesn't help)

Broch

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
thats crap news the ferry was one of the best bits of the trips.
Have a look at the hut system in Norway mate it very good maintained by the mountain rescue with food and wood done on a honesty basis. The first time i went cross country skiing tbhere i was given a wood of advice from an old hat 'to take a couple of good bottles of whiskey with you'. We drank free for the week we stayed in Rhodal after giving a bottle to the local bar owner. Not been in the summer so the only thing i could really recommend is a wooden church near Rhodal (i'll see if i can find the name buts its been a while) which is menat to be one of the oldest wooden traditional churches built in Norway; the craftsmanship is outstanding and well worth a visit. Look forward to seeing some pics

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Because of the new ferry situation I dont know if we'll actually go there or not now. It says its cancelled for good. By land it means a trip through France to Brussels, maybe a train to coppenhagen, just not worth it that way. RyanAir do a £10 flight to Oslo, but car rental is about £400 for the two weeks.
I spoke too soon, might be off to Bognor instead :(

D

Deleted dude 7861

I know I was gutted to hear about the ferry situation too hence working 7 days a week to get extra money to travel via Copenhagen (have a friend who lives there). With Fuel going up and up it's getting cheaper to go to Australia :lmao:

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well bit of good news folks. Somebody where my partner works is from Sweden and has offered to lend us her holiday cottage in the forest for free! I hope that option works out ok, Sweden would be great. Car hire in Sweden is much cheaper and we can always go over the border to Norway. Besides it has more wildlife than Norway, which has a spread out population.
What are the camping laws like in Sweden? ...time to google...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
well bit of good news folks. Somebody where my partner works is from Sweden and has offered to lend us her holiday cottage in the forest for free! I hope that option works out ok, Sweden would be great. Car hire in Sweden is much cheaper and we can always go over the border to Norway. Besides it has more wildlife than Norway, which has a spread out population.
What are the camping laws like in Sweden? ...time to google...

Nice one Lindsey... and there's ferries direct to sweden if I remember rightly.

As for camping in Sweden there's been a lot of discussion about it on the forum but here's what you're looking for as to what you can and can't do.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thanks mesquite, yes thats what Im looking for. so generally camping laws are the same as Norway by the looks of it

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE